The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One Day, Two Photographers (Jack + Uwe)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So here is the same IR image processed 5 different ways. I'd appreciate knowing which you prefer.

First is full IR color, straight out of the camera:

Next is a straight B&W conversion:

Next is a light sepia:

Next is partial color neutral:

Final is partial color warm:

Personally, I'm liking to the partial color warm, but the full color is interesting too...

Ben Rubinstein

Jack, I'm looking for very mild understaturated feel in the colours, those look perfect. Wonder what it would look like on walls and people, the kind of stuff I'm shooting usually.

Terry

Jack either the straight B&W or the partial color neutral but I don't see much difference between the two on the cr*p monitor I'm on.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I did not look at Jacks processing but here is my playing around with that image. I went for some juice with some grain

routlaw

Rob with all this rain California and Arizona have received so far this year it maybe as early as middle of March that it really gets going. Obviously some things like our big Sahauro Cactus is typically middle of May it maybe just come earlier than expected. Arizona in general has gone over it's annual rain fall already and it is only February which will bring early spring flowers and nasty wildfires coming in August when everything dries up and the monsoons set in. We could have a really nasty fire season but we will have a amazing wildflower season. Jack and I are already planning a early May workshop in California which will be devoted mostly to IR shooting and processing. Of course regular color shooting as well but we would like to lean a little heavy on the IR side since we have a golden opportunity here with all this rainfall. My house exactly where i live gets about 7 inches of rain a year. I already have had 8 inches drop on my house in the last month. Northern Arizona is buried in snow as we speak and not by the inches either but by about 8ft so far I believe in Flagstaff. We have gotten hammered
That was just the info I was looking for. My wife and I are coming up to our 25th anniversary and plotting out a month long trip in March as we speak, except for I'm in the dog house right now over a little mishap yesterday. :eek:

CA might have to be included on the list of possible travels. But don't even start talking about wildfires already.

Agree with Guy. I live in the Tucson area and we've been getting lots of rain here as well - to the point that we're finally at a surplus; first time in years. Snow level here is down close to the 4000 foot mark and we actually have a 2% chance of snow where I live.

Should be an outstanding year for wildflowers!

Don
Yeah was just looking at the weather channel last night and saw this winter storm spreading out all across AZ, NM and way into TX of all places. Including Big Bend no less. :wtf: Sure been one wild ride of weather in North America this year.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy you have a lot more noise? grain going on. Jack did you process out noise?
Not sure how to answer. I have my NR settings in C1 at 25 Lum, 50 Color as my default for ISO 400 IR in this camera, but there is still visible, obvious noise in my versions, at least at normal size view. But I guess one could say I am processing out noise. If Guy used lower settings then it will be noisier, don't know if he added any more in post. It's kind of why I chose ISO 400 as my default -- easy to go either way on the raw noise sliders and get grainy or relatively clean...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy you have a lot more noise? grain going on. Jack did you process out noise?
I added noise. I dropped everything to zero than in CS added noise.

This one is just nuts. Playing in color editor

Cool thing is you can really work these IR files

jonoslack

Hey Guys
Can I come play next time please?
I want to see that car graveyard . . . and those lovely little hills.
Of course, it's all the place and not the photographers :ROTFL:

Great Images - I've really enjoyed the thread.
all the best

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Love to have you Jono -- just give me some advance notice when you're coming!

scho

Beautiful work Jack and Uwe. Jack, I like the partial warm rendition. The vineyard shot is really exceptional.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Following this thread over the last couple of days has been truely enjoyable. Thanks Uwe and Jack for some inspirational images. Much appreciated,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Following this thread over the last couple of days has been truely enjoyable. Thanks Uwe and Jack for some inspirational images. Much appreciated,
Hi Charlie, thanks for the kind words!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This image was more like a teaser. This is a fake IR kind of look. I converted to B&W in Nik Silver Efex. I still like it.
I wondered what you had done as the grass was not as white a the others and the tree branches were a bit less defined. Did you and Bettina get out again yesterday?

rmueller

Hi Jack, Uwe,

Real stunning images, especially like the IR ones. I'm in the Bay
Area early March, that seems a nice location for a weekend trip,
will consider bringing my MF gear cross atlantic.

Thanks a lot sharing those images!

Have a good weekend,
Ralf