The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another Day, Three Photographers, One Location

Terry

This is the same area that Jack and Uwe shot earlier in the week. I ventured down that way early this AM. A few minutes into shooting up drives Uwe and Bettina.

After a short chat they went ahead and we shot on our own. After seeing what I've come back with I have to give huge Kudos to Jack and Uwe for their shots earlier in the week!!!

Jack, I have no idea where you pulled the vineyard shot from but I'll be damned if I could find anything that I could remotely get with such a good angle and devoid of distracting elements (Jack is also about a foot taller than me so there is an advantage to getting above fences :p). I need to go back to that area. Learn a lot after the first go that you want to correct in round 2.

Here a few of mine with very quick edits. I am curious to see what Uwe comes up with today.

As I headed up the road to Coalinga, I noticed a lot of fog down below. Early in the AM it was foggy but I thought it had all cleared - apparently not.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Terry,

was nice meeting you today. Jack and I had way more luck with the light (Patches of clouds and sun). We knew we had good karma that day.

Here are our first results:

This is direction 101 when 25 ends (we had the fog you experienced in the morning)

Same area but with sun on our way back:

Close to 101:

Closer to home on 25

The color photos were shot with the Nikon D3s (review sample) and we like this camera more and more.

The IR photo is from our 5D IR.

Even if the weather was not really that great we got some nice shots, at least we think so.

Terry

I have that house from the other angle I need to play around with the saturation a bit. I like the desaturated look of yours from both days. My Sony gives me pretty saturated colors at default.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I have that house from the other angle I need to play around with the saturation a bit. I like the desaturated look of yours from both days. My Sony gives me pretty saturated colors at default.
The D3s is also quite saturated (actually nice) but I did not like the grass in front of the house. This is a shot from the car window (we work as a team).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice shots guys!

Terry, I really like the barn shot and the lone tree! Uwe, your tree in fog and silos are great!

Terry, I shot my vineyard shot through the wires in the fence and low enough I'm sure you could have managed it :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
Nice shots guys!

Terry, I really like the barn shot and the lone tree! Uwe, your tree in fog and silos are great!

Terry, I shot my vineyard shot through the wires in the fence and low enough I'm sure you could have managed it :)
We really had great weather on Wednesday!

Terry

Wow, I didn't really realize how far south Coalinga really was....I looked back at the map and did make it that far because I remember Parkfield Junction. 185 miles each way from San Francisco.

Terry

Thanks. On Hwy 25 is was sun without hardly any cloud and about 6 miles to the west (over the hill) we had dense fog. We love fog. Fog was gone an hour later.
That's the fog that I show in the 3rd and 4th shot. At the end of 25 I turned left on route 198 towards Coalinga. As I was going up the hill that was looking back towards the west.

On my way from SF in the AM, I left the city in dense fog then it was clear until Gilroy. Gilroy to Hollister was very foggy. Right now I can't seen either my old apartment 2 blocks away or the bridge which is only a block further.

ustein

Contributing Editor
This is the same silo from the other side with fog in the background:

G1 + 7-14mm (holding the camera over a wire fence):

Same side with the D3s (some wires cloned off)

Last edited:

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Terry, I love, for lack of a better word, the grittyness of the raven atop the oak tree scene but my favorite is of the cows grazing in the valley. I love all the shades of green and from living in the desert I've convinced myself that I can smell the grass. Also the long shadows cast by the oaks are reminiscent of Eyvind Earle's paintings he did in the Santa Ynez area. Were you photographing near there by any chance? (too lazy here to consult an atlas)

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Thank you, Jack and Uwe, for the geography update. You guys and Terry exposed a beautiful area to all of us. Superb photographs all around.

Mike

Terry

Thanks All. A few more from yesterday. First up I ratcheted back the saturation and probably could go even further (this is to a negative 30 in LR the first few were not boosted!)

The next two are IR captures from a Canon A630 I got converted earlier this year. When I was in Oregon reviewing shots on the LCD it looked like the lens had a hotspot but it really didn't. The first IR probably looks like winter with a dusting of snow shot in B&W.

And now with a bit of false color....Sky is a bit noisy and I'm an IR novice...

Last edited: