The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which do you prefer...

Terry

This is a shot from early Sunday morning that I liked. It was such a beautiful morning and something about the old blue bug with the sky and water captured me. From a composition point of view there is a lot of open space. It doesn't bother me in the shot but I would like other opinions. I also did a pano type crop as an alternative...all comments and critiques welcome.

View attachment 3042

View attachment 3043

Thanks for looking,
terry

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Definitely the top one for me... Has a more Zen quality to it, plus it shows the subtle pastel sky gradient more fully.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
For me, I would crop off about a third of the left and the top.
OK, now you have it.
-bob

Joan

Very tough call, Terry. I like them both. I believe I'll vote for the original as I like the sense of freedom and peace that gives to the man and his bug.
Wonderful shot.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I think they both work but after staring at them for awhile, I like the sense of air and space in the full crop just a tad more.

H

Haya

They are both great , but if I had to choose I'd go with the bottom one!

jlm

Workshop Member
bottom crop from the bottom image, top crop from the top;
grounds the car better and shows the expanse of the sky by contrast

Terry

TR - my gut was saying big one so I am going to print it that way first.

Jaapv - very good point. When I get this ready for print i will be adding a bit of vignetting. I posted these as a work in progress but should make it a bit more completed next time! Jack has a great workflow that he taught us in Moab and Carmel and these images haven't been through most of the steps until I fiitured out which one to work on.

Haya - thanks. For me I think I'm going to start with the bigger one and have it for my office for when I want to day dream. But I'm sure I will end up printing the cropped version as well.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Terry, try centering the vignette at about the man on the bench --- ;)

thomasl.se

Terry,

For me it's really no contest; the uncropped "flies", I think it's a lovely picture. I agree on vignetting, for which I would use NIK's darken/lighten center feature in Color Efex. Jack's center recommendation is looking good.

Thomas

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Except i would have left just a touch more room at the top to pull VW from being dead center on the horizon than i vignetted a little than lightened the car to jump more at you.

thomasl.se

Hm... the original pulls me in with vignetting, whereas the pano (I didn't try anything on it) is almost like a tube squeezing the bug back out. As a color picture, I think it's a mistake to cut away the colors reflected by the water: the pano feels cramped and cropped.

edit: I'm still talking about Terry's pano; not Guy's above.

Best rgds,
Thomas

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Terry,
On second look,yeah, it is the top one.
AND I like it very much.
-bob

Terry

Thanks All,
I completely missed that this bubbled back up yesterday. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a printer and this is high on the list of shots that I want to print.

This shot is one that makes me want to move back to San Francisco....when I lived there Sunday morning I would take a coffee and the newspaper and drive over to Baker Beach pop open my beach chair and relax with the view of the Marin Headlands, the Golden Gate Bridge etc.

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Beautiful, Terry. I have to go with the top one also. I really like the tire tracks and detail in the foreground as well.

mike