The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Truth In a Time of War - A Slideshow

Ben Rubinstein

Sorry but I don't get it, pictures of protesters from one side of the political spectrum hardly lives up to the title of the slideshow.

Ben Rubinstein

Did you make it Rick? I didn't realise that. I'm in the UK so don't didn't have a dog in that fight so don't take my comments as political, I just think a more appropriate title might have been 'Photographic coverage of protests against X' rather than a hugely politically charged title using the inflammatory phrase 'truth', a misnomer in connection with photography at the best of time. I remember my history teacher telling us "there is very rarely such thing as 'proof', almost anything can be argued against or proven to be other than conclusive". The only truth shown in those images was what they portrayed, that there were demonstrations of discontent with the government in power at the time.

Again, not making any personal political comments, especially about another country, just that if photography is to be truth, the first thing it has to do is not be used to support an agenda.

I would have replied in this much depth before had I known that the slideshow was yours, as such apologies as to the abruptness of the original reply.

Rick Waldroup

Oh, no apology is necessary. Yes, I made it. And I knew the title would be inflammatory, which is one reason why I chose it. At first, I thought about giving it a neutral title, like "Protest", etc. But I decided in the end to go with my true feelings, which as a former photojournalist, was extremely hard to do. However, I thought that by using a generic title, people would see right through it and realize my true sentiments when it comes to the war in Iraq, so I just decided to lay the cards on the table, as it were. Basically, I felt as though I was in a no-win situation when it came to the title and the contents of the photos.

Thanks, once again.