The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fungus?

Robert Campbell

Not so much a critique, more a request for help and advice; but I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post - if not, perhaps Jack or Guy could move it to where it belongs.

I've been scanning the family archives recently - a very boring job. Some of the slides go back to the early 1960s, and I have noticed what I think is fungus on many of the earliest ones. It's almost always most visible in the skies. The first pic is fairly typical, the second much worse.

The slides are Kodachromes - ISO 10.

Please ignore the scan quality - the scans are only for indexing - and the content - I was very young :eek:.

Is this fungus? If it is, can I do anything about it? If not, what is it?

TIA

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Plastic sleeves. if you put them in plastic sleeves this could be the cause of moisture and drying out.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea there not archival at all and the chemicals (looking for the right word) extract from the plastic.