The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NSFW: Odalisque Nr.1

Diane B

Well, I, for one, really really like it. You'll get more technical comments from those that are more involved with this genre, but its a lovely photo, very interesting integration of background and subject.

Diane

V

Vivek

An obviously modern looking woman in somewhat of an old setting. Kind of odd combo, IMV.

Also, I wonder if it would have been more fitting with the title had the woman been a blond.

LJL

Not sure what you mean, Vivek. The original "La Grande Odalisque" by Ingres was a brunette. The issue with that painting was the impossible contortion of the spine and hips, plus the elongated spine (3-5 vertebrae more, if I recall some art history). I think Bob's rendering is very good, but the pose is different, which is fine. Bob's version is closer to the Fortuny y Carbo painting of a later date, and it looks good.

Nice work, Bob.

LJ

V

Vivek

LJ, I am trying to pry some information from Bob as to what this is about.;)

The shot is fabulous.

Pat Donnelly

Beautifully rich colours!

Good model, but the glint in your eye appears to have made her toes curl? I find that gettin' 'em drunk first, means that they enjoy it more .... makes up for my lack of good technique....and it also helps relax the model! She has nothing to be nervous about.

Thanks for sharing!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
What this is about...
Well, I have noticed that when folks come to look at my nudes, they often say that they would be interested in buying something a bit more "decorative". A bit of research led me to the 1880's Odalisque style which I am experimenting with emulating. This was a hurried first attempt. I am sure that there will be more to come since my Director of Domestic Affairs* and set designer has gotten interested in helping out.
-bob

* sometimes known as "She who must be obeyed"

kdphotography

Nice Bob. Maybe try toning down the light a tad on her...? Might make the mood better (natural) to be a little closer to the ambient in the rest of the room...

my .02

Don Libby

Bob - great image, reminds me of the old paintings hanging behind the bar in a western salon.

Don

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some of the images from Wikipedia that were the inspiration and which might help explain to some the brightness of the model compared to the background as well as the effect of using sharpness and color temperature to focus interest.

Ingres 1814

Ingres 1843

Lefebvre 1874

All of these were intended to be decorative and a bit exotic, which is the feeling I have tried to reproduce.
-bob

V

Vivek

Bob, Those have lots of green (though the shade looks muted in the paintings), Frankincense incense (essential) and Hookah (tobacco pipe).

Too much red (though I understand why that was put in there) in your settings, IMHO.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Vivek,
I have given up the tobacco (for the umpteenth time), and Cynthia is allergic to Frankincense, but I suppose I could add the burner and pipe to the picture.
As for green, a number of the historical paintings did not have much, they were all over the map as far as I can tell.
I also have to hunt down a plate or tangerines and a peacock feather fan. I have a casting call for an attractive Nubian slave.
-bob

V

Vivek

Bob, Of course, the fumes could be faked.:)

As to the "attractive" descriptor, IIRC, they were all eunuchs.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, Of course, the fumes could be faked.:)

As to the "attractive" descriptor, IIRC, they were all eunuchs.
Perhaps part of the reason I have had so far nobody respond to the casting call :ROTFL:
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Give me a week Bob, my time machine is almost ready just waiting for a part. Should be able to find the Nubian slave in no time.

jlm

Workshop Member
like it, but find the relative sizes of the background couches vs foreground to be too far apart which breaks the integration of fore to back. also agree about toning down the lighting

SKDeitch

What really makes Venus of Urbino work for me was the little dog. I love this photo, but a little dog would really make it sing!