The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some Aerial Fun

Terry

Re: Soem Aerial Fun

All are cool but Ocean Waves B&W is fantastic. Love the "texture"

P.S. Edited thread title :)

Lisa

And in a completely different style...

My spouse is part owner of a small plane, and I've taken my camera up with me a few times. I have to photograph through old plastic windows, which tends to blue-ize and wash out everything if the sun isn't in just the right place, but once in awhile I get lucky:

(El Capitan, Yosemite Valley)

Lisa

ustein

Contributing Editor
Very nice.

>And in a completely different style...

Not sure it is a different style, but for sure a very different subject. Would love to photograph there too.

I my case we have an open window (not sure how that feels at about 7000-8000 feet though). Also I imagine that you had more clear (cold) air there. Here the light is most often brutal. At some point we may try to fly later in the evening.

Usual weather right now

1. Morning can have dense overcast (not good for visibility in the plane)

2. 10am - 12pm strong sun and not too strong winds

3. 12pm -5pm stronger winds and it gets bumpy

4. Later could work but I have to join the pilot when he is flying

jlm

Workshop Member
really nice shots; always wanted to do that.
1947 Stinson, that must be cool. do you know the similar work of William Garnet, another california boy?

ustein

Contributing Editor
really nice shots; always wanted to do that.
1947 Stinson, that must be cool. do you know the similar work of William Garnett, another california boy?
Yes, I have a Garnett book. He is kind of the gold standard for me. He was a professorial aerial photographer for many years (used mainly a Cesna with nice wide open window, have seen a similar plane). Bettina and I are very much into abstracts.

>1947 Stinson

Love it. The pilot also loves photography (he showed me first the Garnett book) so we have both fun.

jlm

Workshop Member
I met Garnett back in the seventies, he was giving a slide show at the U of Oregon, my alma, a place that venerated Brett Weston and other abstract photographers.

i think your aerial work shown here is outstanding

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I met Garnett back in the seventies, he was giving a slide show at the U of Oregon,

Lucky you.

By the way I use the Canon 550D and the 24-105mm lens (with strong anti haze filter). Here are some reasons why:

- the focal range (including the 1.6x multiplier is excellent). The 5D2 would need 2 lenses to cover the range

- the 70-200mm f/4 IS is longer and would stick more out of the plane window. Here you get strong pressure from the props. Maybe next time I try the 5D2 just to have a comparison.

Overall the 550D handles very well in the plane.