The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Greatest Generation

Don Libby

I have the pleasure and honor of attempting to restore the following image of "Felts Crew", 466th BG - 787th Bomb Squadron, Plane #357.

Air Force planners decided that a tour of duty for bombers was to be 25 missions. They factored the physical stress of high altitude flight in poorly heated, unpressurized aircraft, psychological stress of aerial combat and the numerical strength of the Luftwaffe. Early experience showed the average life expectancy of the crews in late 1942 was 8-12 missions. 30-50% chance of completing a tour of duty.

Don Libby

Thank you all for the kind words.

Curiosity got the better of me so I did a Google on the "Greatest Generation" and found that it was Tom Brokaw came up with the name. The greatest generation includes not only the military who fought in the war but those who remained at home. The Greatest Generation are the parents of Baby Boomers in other words our parents.

I posted the image as a tribute to the brave souls who in some cases had a combat life expectancy of hours. War should never be glorified however it shouldn't be forgotten either. The life and liberties we enjoy today are paid for by the sacrifices paid for by people like the Greatest Generation. Makes me wonder at times what future people will think of the people who fought since Viet Nam.

I've seen the tiger smile and it wasn't glorified - just terrifying

D

denzilorton22

You have collected really very nice photos. I think that It had been memorable photos for their family who have in that photos. I assume that It is very oldy photos. But I liked it dude.