The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Musical instruments and those who play them!

Maggie O

I love guitars and other music tools as much as I love cameras and lenses and I like making photos of instruments almost as much as I like playing them. So, since I just got a very sweet Bowery Pine Telecaster from Carmine Street Guitars (in NYC!) and took some shots of it, I thought I'd start a thread devoted to instruments and musicians!

The Kelly Bowery Pine Tele is made from the 200-year-old Pine roof beams from a NYC Bowery warehouse that was torn down around the turn of the century. Rick Kelly, the guy who is Carmine Street Guitars, salvaged the wood, which had been baking under the sun and supporting the roof since 1805 and is making Telecaster-style guitars out of them. I ordered one in 2008 and it arrived yesterday!

It plays like a dream, sounds even better and looks fantastic! Lightweight, with barely a shellac finish on both the body and the neck, which have a smooth, but woody feel to them, like an old piece of furniture might.

Now, to the pix!

I already love it! Toneful and soulful and a delight to have in hand, this may be the last guitar I'll ever need to buy.

mathomas

I already love it! Toneful and soulful and a delight to have in hand, this may be the last guitar I'll ever need to buy.
Laff!

How many times have I said this with cameras, bicycles, guitars (or other music gear), watches, and so on?

I don't say it any more!

JonasYip

I've got lots of guitars and other musical instruments, but here's an unusual one:

It's a "Kala UBass" bass ukulele. I put it next to my Strat to show how small it is. It's tuned like a bass guitar and sounds somewhat like an upright bass. Mine is fretless to take advantage of that sound.

The most unusual part are the really thick smooth rubber or polyurethane strings (I don't know what they actually are).

- j

JonasYip

That is really cool! Have you done any recordings with it?
Not yet. I just got it recently, and it doesn't really work in the context of my current project. But I'm sure I'll find somewhere to squeeze it in soon. Of course, I need to practice actually playing a fretless...

j

Lloyd

Ok. I'll play (hope these are on topic):

My guitar (which ironically finds itself the subject of many, many photographs).

And here's one of a musician and her instrument. At least a bit of each.

Lloyd

Cracking good pix, Lloyd! Your Epi looks well loved!
Thanks Maggie. It is well loved. Just wish I could play it more. I have arthritis in my hands now, so it's just not much of an option. Now I listen to my sons play it.

Maggie O

I get psoriasis attacks on my fingertips and can't play for weeks at a stretch, so I can imagine how much that must hurt, not being able to play. At least you can listen to your sons. That's pretty cool, in a whole different way, but still awfully cool.

m_driscoll

I love guitars and other music tools as much as I love cameras and lenses and I like making photos of instruments almost as much as I like playing them. So, since I just got a very sweet Bowery Pine Telecaster from Carmine Street Guitars (in NYC!) and took some shots of it, I thought I'd start a thread devoted to instruments and musicians!

The Kelly Bowery Pine Tele is made from the 200-year-old Pine roof beams from a NYC Bowery warehouse that was torn down around the turn of the century. Rick Kelly, the guy who is Carmine Street Guitars, salvaged the wood, which had been baking under the sun and supporting the roof since 1805 and is making Telecaster-style guitars out of them. I ordered one in 2008 and it arrived yesterday!

It plays like a dream, sounds even better and looks fantastic! Lightweight, with barely a shellac finish on both the body and the neck, which have a smooth, but woody feel to them, like an old piece of furniture might.

Now, to the pix!

Maggie: Great looking guitar! Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com,

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'll play!

Checking the do before the big do.

And once again... Duct tape saves the day.

kevinparis

nowhere near as nice as Maggies Tele... but mine is set up the Keith Richards way - open tuning - or as he describes his recipe for success

5 strings, 3 chords, 2 fingers and one A-hole

shot on a E-P1 with a Nikkor 50/1.2

K