The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent Portraits (PW flexTT5)

S

Shelby Lewis

First portrait session in a long while...

Just wanted to show some more shots using a mix of ambient light and high-speed flash sync (large-apertures as well) utilizing the pocketwizard FlexTT5 units with an umbrella. I underexposed the background just a bit in order to pop the subject from the bg, but also tried to keep it subtle.

BTW... I've found that the PW control-tl system meters flash much more consistently than straight canon e-ttl. USing the 430ex ii flashes, the flexTT5 units have been bulletproof and basically faultless.

and straight natural light:

Cheers,
Shelby

dseelig

hi SHELBY
Per mit me to sound stupid but SLP what do they mean and or where are your umbrellas. More tech info [please?

S

Shelby Lewis

hi SHELBY
Per mit me to sound stupid but SLP what do they mean and or where are your umbrellas. More tech info [please?
No problems... SLP=shelby lewis photography (I'm in the midst of moving to another state so my website is temporarily down). It's my watermark so that the images don't get stolen and used.

The umbrella (a single one) was on a stand at about 45 degrees to camera left and a few feet above the child... pointing down at her. You can see their location (sort of) in the catchlights.

F

FStopIan

The first shot is great Shelby, perfect expression for the frame. Nice work.

S

Shelby Lewis

The first shot is great Shelby, perfect expression for the frame. Nice work.
Thanks Ian... you always have such positive things to say. Much appreciated!

BTW... my youngest boy is named Ian.

S

Shelby Lewis

Hi Shelby,
You have a way with portraits! I prefer number 2!
Why thank you, Terry... much appreciated.

How 'bout one more... again with flash augmenting ambient. This little girl is a riot.