The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with HUGE images (any camera). WARNING:Very Large files posted here!

etrump

Re: Fun with HUGE MF images. WARNING:Very Large files posted here!

This is a fun thread. Thanks Jack!

thomas

ok just to test
finally the S2 70 @ f8 focussed at infinity. This is on par with the (rare) published wide distance shots of the S2 70mm stopped down. good in the center, quite weak at the edges (above all for that price).
With the 70mm this is not a "landscape photography" kit... IMHO.
And of course no "architecture" kit (it isn't anyway...).

jerome

Hello !

Here, something from my new H4D 50

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber

Victor, you need to add IMG inside the [] brackets at the begining of the image url, then add /IMG inside brackets at the end, not url and /url as you had done. I edited your post above and changed only that and as you can see, it worked :)

BTW, I like the rusty old boat, but have to wonder what kind of image it would have made if framed between those two copper-blue pots. Oh, and you have a massive dust bunny upper left...
Yes, and here we have the problem; the light was good (Galway bay inlet, 'artist' light for some. I liked the blue-blue blue of the pots, water and sky. Like a 'color splash' to pick up the sky and bring some interest to an otherwise nice, but dull scene. In person I could SEE that. In fact, two of the guides were Irish artists with their own gallery (acrylic and pastel-I know, why not real stuff like oil! but then I am old and fussy) They were waxing philosophic about the western coast of Ireland being as good a Provence for light.

We were running for the bus. Normally I would have tried a few lenses (and stopped by the boat-I even asked 'could we stop for a sec';?"

No way 9 inveterate trekkers on our way into the mountains for the day!:mad:

I wanted to try the pots centered and also at the edge
I also wanted a full pano (5-6 shots) from higher on the terrace...
But this was not a Guy and Jack trip it was a trek 'with photo ops":ROTFL:

Actually not to brag, but I need to be about twice as strong and fast as the others as I fall behind then race nto catch up (with dangling 5# camera)

BTW, I had rotator cuff surgery (still in recover, Grrrrrrrr) and my orthopaedic surgeon asked; "Say you haven't been carrying heavy loads for long periods have you?:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

PS What dust bunny? That's my WATERMARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber

finally the S2 70 @ f8 focussed at infinity. This is on par with the (rare) published wide distance shots of the S2 70mm stopped down. good in the center, quite weak at the edges (above all for that price).
With the 70mm this is not a "landscape photography" kit... IMHO.
And of course no "architecture" kit (it isn't anyway...).
Actually, I think the focus was on the urns.

thomas

Actually, I think the focus was on the urns.
Honestly I did not noticed the urns... the image is far too big :)
anyway... far distance is sharp in the center while the edges go soft.
you also have the Contax... have you ever seen something like that at f8 with your 80mm?

gogopix

Subscriber

Well, lookee lookee
I did grab three for a pano!

http://web2.vicgogolak.com:81/CMPIX/albums/IRL-S2-jpg/normal_L1001174_Panorama-fxps.jpg

:cool:

Ok, why isnt it working??

ok it is, my bad :) (put in a { instead of a [

anyway, dont even DARE comment on sharpness or the funny tree edge-- this a quick and dirty with some fill light and some clarity (actuall seems a bit much) this is originally an over 2GB file scrunched down to a 10MB jpg Original is pretty damn good, not P65+ quality, but perrrrty good.
you want the real file, you PAY!! LOL

Last edited:

Professional

Well, lookee lookee
I did grab three for a pano!

http://web2.vicgogolak.com:81/CMPIX/albums/IRL-S2-jpg/normal_L1001174_Panorama-fxps.jpg

:cool:

Ok, why isnt it working??

ok it is, my bad :) (put in a { instead of a [

anyway, dont even DARE comment on sharpness or the funny tree edge-- this a quick and dirty with some fill light and some clarity (actuall seems a bit much) this is originally an over 2GB file scrunched down to a 10MB jpg Original is pretty damn good, not P65+ quality, but perrrrty good.
you want the real file, you PAY!! LOL
Use this code:

For example:

hope this will help, but be sure that the link or the url of the image is working otherwise it will never show even you post a direct link as a link, try again.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

No way 9 inveterate trekkers on our way into the mountains for the day!:mad:
Maybe you should consider trekking and photography as two seperate avocations? (Or with the bad rotator cuff, give up trekking -- all that arm swinging and all :ROTFL:) Seriously, I do understand the difficulties of trying to blend multiple avocations into a single venue -- it is at best, challenging...

gogopix

Subscriber

Use this code:

For example:

hope this will help, but be sure that the link or the url of the image is working otherwise it will never show even you post a direct link as a link, try again.
Than you Tariq, it worked!

gogopix

Subscriber

Honestly I did not noticed the urns... the image is far too big :)
anyway... far distance is sharp in the center while the edges go soft.
you also have the Contax... have you ever seen something like that at f8 with your 80mm?
You could be right. I just thought the left side (foreground) was closer so out of the DOF (1/3 front, right?)

I will defer to the experts. On this test drive I was pretty pleased with the S2 AF and the IQ. The Contax AF often had a mind of its own, and so I was constantly adjusting framing. The S2 seemed a bit better priedictable.
Ocassional I would 'force infinity' on the S2 for reasons you suggest. Here I really want the Urns as a metaphore for 'entry to the world' out there, and the mix of old new, (boat cars) and framing what looked to be an ancient caldera across th bay. I think I always had in mind the pano to frame with foregnd trees on each side (and Jack, not sure about a centered urn; could have reinforced the idea but again, rush rush rush.

Jack, I like lots going on, so I live with it. With these large images and detail my style is large, lots going on, more narrative phography than 'art'. I just don't do images from outsides stairs with shadows on walls. I like the big drama. I think others here are more the 'focused eye' ONE big thing or concept going on. I can appreciate that (to ceratain extent :) I just don't normally do it. If it's focused, I rather it be a person, a mood...That's a skill I would like to develop

Anyway, like to see the big stuff from you guys. The GETDPI trips should have some spectacular ones, given the skills and equipment.

best regards
Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

ink I always had in mind the pano to frame with foregnd trees on each side (and Jack, not sure about a centered urn; could have reinforced the idea but again, rush rush rush.

Jack, I like lots going on, so I live with it. With these large images and detail my style is large, lots going on, more narrative phography than 'art'. I just don't do images from outsides stairs with shadows on walls. I like the big drama.
Understood, and I think you've achieved that then with this image. You have the urns almost at a golden mean point, a contrasting red splash opposite edge, and the suggestion of an "S" curve with the boat dock and shoreline, all anchored to a decent sky and pleasant midground.

Professional

Than you Tariq, it worked!
You welcome!
But let me tell you that your only posts that i can't see any photo there, either the links are dead or the website you use [maybe yours] is blocked in our region, so in both cases i can't see your photos.

David K

Workshop Member

but that really isn't good light.. it's barely acceptable light... I'm not trying to be mean here... you have the opportunity and gear at your disposal.. but I don't think you've had the experience in determining what good light actually is yet. You don't have to get up early to get it.. You don't need to spend extra time post processing, don't have to bump up saturation. you just have to know what it looks like when it appears
jim
Recently came across this video interview of Camille Seaman regarding good light and thought it might be of interest.

http://www.silberstudios.tv/videos/fine-art-photography-camille-seaman

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

David,

EXCELLENT link, thanks for sharing it!

Thank you for the link David. I enjoyed the interview with Camille and see that website has many other video interviews that look interesting.

jlm

Workshop Member

the big images do impress, but how do you look at one when even on my 30" monitor I have to do multiple scrolls.

why not choose to limit you max size to full screen on a large monitor? or am i missing something?

Oh, and thanks no one is "quoting" the images when responding

Professional

the big images do impress, but how do you look at one when even on my 30" monitor I have to do multiple scrolls.

why not choose to limit you max size to full screen on a large monitor? or am i missing something?

1500-2500 are fine, i do limit my images to those for now rather than i put 4000x to 8000x and i do scrolling as well on my 30" monitor.

dfarkas

Workshop Member

Right-click on the image and select View Image in Firefox or View Image in New Tab in Chrome. Not sure about Safari, though. After the image comes up by itself the default view will be to fit. You can then click to blow up to 100% and back to fit again. Pretty easy really (at least on the Windows side of things).

David