The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 JFI B&W

Something I'm just starting to play with. This was taken with an Oly E-410, OM 50mm f1.8 @ f1.8 then converted in C1 with a JFI B&W profile.

tm

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I like the second attempt much better. There is some jarring bokeh in the first one (I think you simplified your composition in the second- which I like). I don't shoot Olympus, so I don't know if it is part of the signature of that lens or something else, but the bokeh in the second one is much smoother. I use the JFI profiles and they do make it easy to convert to black and white.

Hi Cindy

The first one was front lit by the sun and the translucent stocks are glowing, kind of natural chaos. The flower pedals to me look very bird like. The second was back lit and much smoother. I usually never open this lens up and typicaly shoot @ f2.8 where it really wakes up and is much sharper so this is an experiment.

Thanks for the feedback.

tm

cam

the second one is stunning, but the first, though, is mesmerising...

i'm scaring myself because i normally don't like these type of shots but, since getting the Epson and good lenses, i'm taking them and really looking and liking others... flowers used to be all about smelling and now, sudden;y, i'm glorying in their bokeh potential.

and i'm an absolute sucker for black and white...

which lens is this?

Last edited:

cam

tm,

i hope you used the 1.8 because my BF just got one for his Oly at a camera fair in Paris. i told him about your shots and said he should be on the look out...

a question for both of you... i love the JFI profiles but am unsure of C1. is it an easy program to use? (i'm not computer illiterate but hate learning yet another interface. at the same time, i'm still not content with any of the RAW converters i've used.)

In fine art painting there is an awareness of what is call negative space (the area around the subject) it's an important consideration. What I'm playing with here is having the negative space as the primary interest and the subject as secondary.

Hi Cam, yes the lens is the Oly OM 50mm f1.8. Mine is the latest version and says made in Japan on the front ring. This is a manual focus lens and I use it with an adapter on my Oly DSLR. I've been using C1 for a while and think it's a very good raw converter, for me
it's fast and easy to use. I also like being able to use profiles from different cameras or the excellent JFI profiles for B&W.

And thank you Jack.

Tim