The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just for fun -- film or digital

Which photo(s) is/are from a digital camera?

• 01.jpg is from a digital camera

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 02.jpg is from a digital camera

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • 03.jpg is from a digital camera

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mathomas

Below are three images of the same subject (unfortunately not all at the same time or conditions). Which of them, if any are digital?

(Disclaimer: This is only for fun, not to prove any specific point. I shoot film and digital and like both of them for different reasons.)

mathomas

@darr: I was waiting for someone to say that :)
To clarify (too late to edit): I meant I was waiting for someone to say "they are all digital on line", not that #3 is digital. The poll runs for two weeks -- I'm not giving any hints.

Knorp

I voted before but didn't reply, but here's what I think:
digital: 1,2
film: 3​

All the best.

bensonga

I voted Mike! I'm probably way off base (which wouldn't surprise me at all), but at least I voted! Still waiting to hear.....got my money on number 3! When will you pull the curtain back and announce the results?

Gary

mathomas

Gary: Thanks for voting :). I was hoping to get better voter response. Only 13 have voted so far. My cajoling hasn't had much effect, either. I think I'll pull back the curtain Sunday.

M5-Guy and everyone else that voted -- thanks!

M5-Guy

I voted Mike! I'm probably way off base (which wouldn't surprise me at all), but at least I voted! Still waiting to hear.....got my money on number 3! When will you pull the curtain back and announce the results?

Gary
I agree. I shoot both, and develop BW... 1 and 2 show the type of detail that only film can give... digital lacks the gradual tone slope (DR) and adds edge detail that film does not have, [IE: Film has a more feathered edge sharpness]. But, Digital has more finer detail and the edges are more defined than film. Giving digital a sharper appearance, even though it may not be actually sharper, but just records edges with less feathering than film.

mathomas

OK, this has been up for a week. 285 views and only 15 votes. I think we're done here. Thanks to all of you who voted and commented! :salute:

I think the results are interesting.

Here's the breakdown:

Image 1
Film
Leica M2 + Voigtlander 35/1.4 SC
Plus-X @ EI 400, developed in Diafine 3+3 (standard process)

Image 2
Digital
Leica M8 + Zeiss 25/2.8
B&W Conversion and adjustments in Nik Silver Efex Pro

Image 3
Film
Leica M2 + Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5
Rollei Retro 80S @ box speed
Developed in Adonal (like Rodinal) 14m @19C, gentle agitation every 2m

Image 2 and 3 were taken in the same session, so same light. Obviously, the focal lengths and lens qualities are a bit different.

I mostly posted this because I was surprised and pleased at the grain-free qualities and smooth tones of the Retro 80s compared to the Plus-X, and wanted to share with others. Of course, the Plus-X frame was exposed in very low light, with a push, in a different developer.

I also thought it might be interesting to do a B&W conversion of my M8 file and try to make the M8's results look like the Plus-X. I applied Silver Efex' Plus-X adjustment, and added more grain to match the Plus-X negative.

Then I started comparing all three images and started thinking a poll might be fun.

As I said before, I happily shoot both digital and film. I have no dog in any fight between them. I shoot film partially because I have to work harder for my results (the process is the reward, to some degree), and I like the authenticity of B&W results from shooting B&W film (among a lot of other reasons). I shoot digital because, let's face it, it's more convenient, and you can use amazing tools to get the results you want (within the limitations of digital), and then change your mind later.

In the end, it's about the image.

Last edited:

Lars

To me the first image was clearly negative film - enormous DR in the highlights. The other two are heavily clipped.

mathomas

Probably has a lot more to do with the conditions than the medium. The first one was shot in very dim conditions. Not a lot of contrast between the background and the foreground in that case. This is esp. true given the fact that the last one is also film.

However, my scanner is not the best in the world, either, and that is a massive variable.

RF_Licks

Interesting.

I voted before realizing you released the answers. I was pretty sure #1 was film, not too sure about #2 but sure that#3 was digital because it seems clipped with very smooth tones. You got me.

Joe

mathomas

Interesting.

I voted before realizing you released the answers. I was pretty sure #1 was film, not too sure about #2 but sure that#3 was digital because it seems clipped with very smooth tones. You got me.

Joe
Hi, just saw your reply. Don't feel bad that I "got you" :). I wasn't really trying to. I just found myself in awe of the "smoothness" of the Rollei Retro 80S frame, even compared to an M8 file from the same day. The Retro 80S is a very nice film, but super-contrasty, which may account for the blown highlights (that, or my scanner, of course).