The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Square Format

ustein

Contributing Editor
>A fake of a simulation, eh? Very clever. ;-)

Yes. Hipstamatic simulates the plastic camera look of the original Hipstamatic. Hipstamatic is fun but allows very limited control. This way I can create this unique and fun look while having more control.

Also Hipstamatic in clor is too much over the top for my taste. Here it is just fine with color.

Will start shooting a GF1 in square aspect ratio soon.

Godfrey

Nice photo, Uwe.

I've worked with the E-5 in square crop mode but usually don't bother ... it doesn't change what I see through the viewfinder (only in Live View) so I just visualize for square and crop to it as a standard operation in LR. If the tax man hadn't taken quite so much out of my skin, I might have picked up an E-PL2 just to be able to use my Cosmicar 12.5mm lens again, that lens works well for square photos with a very wide feel.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>it doesn't change what I see through the viewfinder (only in Live View) so I just visualize for square and crop to it as a standard operation in LR.

I like to see the square in the viewfinder. Works fine with the GF1.

I try to encourage people to do the same for the iPhone.

Professional

Our society or club called "Emirates Photography Society", it is based on Sharjah city in UAE, it is like the only place i take photos for tests, lol, and the areas around that club is really fascinating, so i just save my time and effort to shoot there and not to go far and look around like a crazy to shoot something.

Well, those frames are tests of my friend lens, CZ 80mm Planner C, in fact i didn't like it, hard to use, even my friend told me to get CF instead of this one, so i have to think about that, for now the quality is not bad, but my Hassy focusing is really not on par as to my RZ67II.

Strange that the last shot is a bit grainer more than the other 11 frames, sometimes film driving me nuts.

I deleted 2 frames as they are not so good and repeated of one of above [the door half opened, just tried different exposure settings and didn't like the results], also i want to know how to have my B&W contrasty and better tones or DR, i feel all or most of my B&W scans are not impressive B&W as i want and as i see on the net.

bensonga

Really wonderful images Uwe, Tareq and William!

A square crop just felt right for this one....seemed to emphasize the mass of the locomotive more to me. I posted a color version on the "Fun with Canon" images thread. Maybe I should have lightened the yellow a bit more in this B&W conversion.

Gary

Canon 1D Mark II and 17-40L lens

Professional

Is this forum to post square mages from a square format or can crop non-square shots into square shots? I have many formats that i can crop for square, but i posted shots from my Hasselblad 501cm as i thought only square format is allowed to posted here.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>but i posted shots from my Hasselblad 501cm as i thought only square format is allowed to posted here.

What is a Panasonic GF1 set to 1:1 aspect ratio? I understand this is about using the square for compositions?

bensonga

Tareq....if you take a close look at the images on the first page of this thread you'll see there are a mix of what we might call "native" square formats (such as our Hasselblads) and rectangular formats that were cropped to square for the final image displayed here. I know there are some purists who would insist on only native square formats, but I don't think William, who started this thread, ever explicitly said one way or the other. Frankly, if we all just posted square images here without any information about the camera used, no one could tell one way or the other, whether the image started out square or rectangular. I personally would welcome seeing any square images you'd like to share here....it's all about the square composition, however we got there. Just my view, of course.

Gary

Professional

>but i posted shots from my Hasselblad 501cm as i thought only square format is allowed to posted here.

What is a Panasonic GF1 set to 1:1 aspect ratio? I understand this is about using the square for compositions?
Tareq....if you take a close look at the images on the first page of this thread you'll see there are a mix of what we might call "native" square formats (such as our Hasselblads) and rectangular formats that were cropped to square for the final image displayed here. I know there are some purists who would insist on only native square formats, but I don't think William, who started this thread, ever explicitly said one way or the other. Frankly, if we all just posted square images here without any information about the camera used, no one could tell one way or the other, whether the image started out square or rectangular. I personally would welcome seeing any square images you'd like to share here....it's all about the square composition, however we got there. Just my view, of course.

Gary
And i don't mind posting square images from any camera i use even if i use a panoramic camera, but i was thinking that this thread is restricted to post photos from dedicated square format gear and not posting even cropped-to-square, i have many square shots from Hasselblad and from all my gear with proper cropping, so i just don't want to do that and breaking a rule if i must post from only square format camera.

emmawest72

Hi

My idea was to post square images from any medium, 35mm,digital,mf, lf, iphone, red camera :) - whatever!

Look forward to many more!

This is from a d700 frame...

Twist by WesterW, on Flickr

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Still learning this all manual thing. I don't know if film and I will get along. I had one of those "so mad at the film reel that I almost jumped up and down on the changing bag" days. And the focus! It must be my fault, but how can I be so off at f/8 with a 50mm lens?:banghead:
Anyway, this was at 100mm (I think). Ilford FP4.

Best,

Matt

sizifo

A recent square photo of mine. It disappeared from the analogue thread after a flickr edit, so I'm reposting it here