The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Square Format

emmawest72

Hi,

I'm a big lover of the square format and would love to create a thread with all the great square work from the members here. No matter the medium - let the pictures do the talking!

Rêveuse II by WesterW, on Flickr

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Beautiful photos everyone. I was just sitting here, looking at them and missing the Rolleiflex Baby that I was stupid enough to sell some 10 years ago. Then I thought; haven't I heard something about the GH1 and square formats?

Picked up the camera, found the first menu choice on the first menu, changed it, and voilà, the viewfinder as well as the LCD are square. Sometimes, electronics are just beautiful :)

bensonga

Great idea William! Although I'm as happy to shoot rectangular as square, I've shot alot of square formats over the years, mostly a Mamiya TLR and more recently Hasselblad. And sometimes....I just crop to square if it suits me. Here's one from the Yukon (Dawson City) taken with my Hasselblad 501CM.

bensonga

One more from the Hasselblad (553ELX and 50mm CFi Distagon). Velvia 100 converted to BW in PS3.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Great idea William! Although I'm as happy to shoot rectangular as square, I've shot alot of square formats over the years, mostly a Mamiya TLR and more recently Hasselblad. And sometimes....I just crop to square if it suits me. Here's one from the Yukon (Dawson City) taken with my Hasselblad 501CM.

Thanks Gary for your Yukon Saw Mill image . Love it .
That would be an object for my "architecture to touch" project .

bensonga

Here's one from my archives....mid-90s I think. Mamiya TLR with 80mm lens. Trees in a Cleveland, Ohio park. I've tried various prints from this negative, lightening the trees etc....never could decide which version I like best.

bensonga

Thanks Gary for your Yukon Saw Mill image . Love it .
That would be an object for my "architecture to touch" project .
Thanks Jurgen. Dawson City is a really neat place. Most of the streets are unpaved and have wooden sidewalks. Not as many tourists in Dawson as in the coastal Alaska and BC towns (where the cruise ships go). There are still quite a few older wooden buildings like this one standing. Interesting history in that area too (gold mining etc).

By the way....I love the colors, textures and shapes in the image you posted above!

Gary

usathyan

Fantastic set of images...Square is my favorite format as well!
Here is one of my most recent...shot on GF1 & cropped.