The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sir John Holt - Lord Chief Justice from 1689 - 1710

jonoslack

Lord Chief Justice

How are the Mighty fallen

Pictures were taken with the pentax K5, all hand held, it was much to cramped to get a tripod in there. Lots of lead oxide around as well.

The vault was discovered because someone put their foot through the floor, it needed to be opened up to be repaired structurally. . . . . . and yes, that is a small pile of babies in lead coffins in 15-18. It will all be sealed up again in the next few weeks.

The bodies were put into lead coffins, then these were surrounded by oak coffins covered in black velvet and studwork - in most cases this has rotted away.

If you're really interested, then this link is a bit more of an overview:

Redgrave

scho

Jono,

Fascinating history and nicely documented in your photos. Rather gruesome in that vault and also probably not very healthy with all of the fugitive lead dust. Did you use the Sigma 10-20 for this series?

jonoslack

Jono,

Fascinating history and nicely documented in your photos. Rather gruesome in that vault and also probably not very healthy with all of the fugitive lead dust. Did you use the Sigma 10-20 for this series?
HI There
I used the sigma for some of them, the 18-135 for some, and the 100 macro for some. I agree about that dust - amazing how much it has all callapsed over 100 years or so.

all the best

Knorp

Hi there Jono,
Interesting history and what an amazing photo reportage of these rare artifacts.
Thank you for sharing.
Kind regards.

jonoslack

Hi there Jono,
Interesting history and what an amazing photo reportage of these rare artifacts.
Thank you for sharing.
Kind regards.
HI Bart
I hope you're well - I'm glad you found it interesting - I guess lots and lots of villages have interesting histories, but it brings it all to life when you can see the then and the now.

all the best