The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

getDPI workshop Grand Canyon / Monument Valley

cs750

Was the "Changing Light" Photo Jack's? Ooops....sorry....it is beautiful no matter who made the image! Charles

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The first afternoon we had a lone snow storm cloud come right up the center of the canyon and start dumping its load while we were waiting for sunset. It was large so it did not appear as one cloud, but rather a small storm unless you viewed the entire length of it. The Sun was low enough to hit underneath it and gave us the changing side-light view, so I decided it might be a fun pano to try and grabbed it quickly. It is 7 frames at 55mm covering almost 180 degrees of view from the West end of the South Rim. This is 2000 pixels wide here, but the original would print 3 feet tall by 15 feet wide at 240 PPI with intricate detail. Not the greatest image, and I'd certainly need to work it more before printing it, but an interesting view we can't usually encompass with our normal vision:

The lead image in this thread that Bob posted, is actually of me while I'm making the pano series above. Here's thumb link to click on if you missed it:

PeterA

LOVE that panorama Jack -ok thats it!!! - I definately want to visit the Grand Canyon...but before I do that maybe I should get of my ar$e and go up to the Kimberleys here in OZ and practise - it is after all only a few thousand miles away in thge middle of nowhere - and camels are apparently a good way to travel when you get there:ROTFL:

OR

why dont YOU two get off YOUR a##es and organise a down under trip?

Pete

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Still working images . This may take until next week have a couple gigs to shoot but I kind of like this one shot with the 150 mm.

Here Peter eat your heart out. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOVE that panorama Jack -ok thats it!!! - I definately want to visit the Grand Canyon...but before I do that maybe I should get of my ar$e and go up to the Kimberleys here in OZ and practise - it is after all only a few thousand miles away in thge middle of nowhere - and camels are apparently a good way to travel when you get there:ROTFL:

OR

why dont YOU two get off YOUR a##es and organise a down under trip?

Pete
LOLOL, too funny Pete! Seriously though, it would be a lot easier for you to fly up here and join us than for all of us to fly down under and visit you! :D

jlm

Workshop Member
i want to hear that you made that print! stretch out that 7900 and blow some ink and paper

PeterA

LOLOL, too funny Pete! Seriously though, it would be a lot easier for you to fly up here and join us than for all of us to fly down under and visit you! :D
Ok i will have to go to some places and make some shots to get you guys interested...give me a few more months and I will ( hopefully) have a lot more time to do fun stuff..

re coming over it is on my wish list and I now have the official permission from "she who must be obeyed" to start doing stuff I like -:) careful what you wish for though - first plan of business is to show you two old fellas how real men drink :ROTFL::ROTFL: there is no need for sleep on these trips is there??

Cheers.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
careful what you wish for though - first plan of business is to show you two old fellas how real men drink :ROTFL::ROTFL: there is no need for sleep on these trips is there??

Cheers.
Sleep? Seriously, we NEVER get criticized for not cramming enough shooting into our excursions, though we occasionally get requests for a bit more down time :D.

As for the occasional libation, Guy and I can, well, let's just say we can "hold our own" :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

cs750

Here is a focus stack shot with the 80LS done in Helicon focus. 4 frames here

Guy, I really like the horizontal Helicon Focus image the best, but like the vertical as well. I bought Helicon Focus several months ago, but have not used it! I think there is a "block" about learning more software....but your image may get me past the "block". It is a dramatic image. Charles

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Helicon is a very nice program. Care is taken on the capture you want to make sure you slowly creep the focus out and get at least 4 images to work with. Which it seems to work best with 4 or more images.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Guess i liked what i was seeing i did it as a vertical as well. Focus stack 4 images

Guy

I do like this vertical and also the horizontal image .

But what I do not understand is , why is the snow in the foreground and the branches of the tree of blue color ? ? ?
Is there a strong blue cast in the foreground and if so , why ? ? ?