The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please critique...weird IR photography

Lisa

I've been doing quite a bit of infrared photography lately, and find myself gravitating towards the more weird-feeling images. Following is my latest, from the south Oregon coast:

Does this photo "work" for anyone else here? What do you *see* in this photo? What's your reaction to it? Is it interesting-weird or just pointless-weird? Be honest, now...

Lisa

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lisa I see some weird color just above the first peak there has some green in it , not sure what it is . I do like the shot, just not sure on the purple color overall

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lisa. I like the composition with the strong diagonal and like the mood from the fog. I'm also sure it is more impressive if viewed larger, since there appears to be a man and child center foreground that render the scale of the rocks as massive. Next I like the neutral sand and greens on the rocks, but remain conflicted on the magenta fog and feel it might be better as a B&W?

Cheers,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Lisa,
I think the image has very strong possibilities.
I have done some false color IR as well, but I have found that most people object to "off-color" skys unless they are VERY much exaggerated (go figure).
Play around some more, both with B&W, as Jack suggests, and in color.
Just fooling around in PS is one of my favorite things.
-bob

V

Vivek

This is a challenging subject since it has been photographed to death with every tool available and at every condition possible.

The dull magenta sky and the sea are not appealing (these can be tweaked). You have put all the elements (sans color) together well compositionally, I think.

If you convert it to B&W it will go into the category of what I said in the first sentence.

Fog (or even high humidity) and near IR won't go well together, technically.

So, it makes it even more challenging.

helenhill

I love the Framing / Composition Aspect.....Beautiful

in terms of colour .....I would prefer to see more graduation & pop of tones
To my eye its overall lovely & soft BUT Flat
:) Best-H

Lisa

OK, OK, I'll lose the purple!:thumbdown:
The reason for leaving an exotic color cast in there rather than B&W was because I wanted people to look at it and not think "Oregon coast", but to think "alternate universe!" That aspect of it must have failed...

Guy, the weird color you're talking about appears to be a jpg artifact. It's not in the original tiff file (which is what I would use for anything other than web display).

Jack, you're right that the man and child are much more obvious in a larger print, or full-screen image. I'm not sure if it's clear from the little image here, but they appear to be facing the large rock. I took several other images at the time, but I chose this one because of their facing. In the others, they were wandering down the beach facing random directions.

Thanks, all, for your comments. I'll go back and try tweaking it in pure B&W to see if I can improve it.

Lisa

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Lisa - if you want to get rid of the magenta sky/fog and keep the colors in the rocks you can try this in Photoshop:
New Adjustment Layer > Selective Color
In the Selective Color Options - choose Magentas from the Colors drop-down list
Magenta slider to -100
Try dialing up the Cyan and/or Black to the + side and you will lose more of the magenta as well.
Jack or others may be able to advise you better.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Or just add a Hue/Sat adjustment layer, select Magenta and drag the saturation to -100. The purple appears to have a fair amount of blue as well, so you may need to drag the Blue slider to -100 as well. Don't mess with the Cyan or Green as those are the main colors in the rock I think. This should get you at least close...