The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dollar Bar: Session 3

ustein

Contributing Editor
1. The first session we used the GH2 + 7-14mm lens. We underestimated the contrast (need for HDR).

2. We shot with the 5DII and the Zeiss 21mm in 3 shot HDR. Due to operator error we got high ISO images with ISO bracketing. Images were ok but grainy.

3. This time we shot with GH2 + 7-14mm (at about 10mm to match the angle of view of the 21mm Zeiss) and 5DII + 21mm Zeiss.

5DII 3 shot HDR (at 2EV steps) and GH2 7 shot HDR (1EV steps). In the end we liked the GH2 image better due to improved DOF of the lens (likely could have used higher f-stop on the Zeiss).

Processing:

- Lightroom
- Unified Color HDR Express
- Our own sharpening
- Nik Silver Efex Pro 2

Here is the 5 shot portfolio:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/Portfolios/Dollar-Bar/

All sort of feedback welcome.

Ben Rubinstein

I find the first of those 5 in the portfolio the most interesting and where the HDR really shines to give a soft and thoughtful feel to the place. Which combo was that one shot with?

Ben Rubinstein

Do you feel that by increasing the stops of bracketing you can match the HDR output of the 5DII? Does it even out the DR differences?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
These are very nice. Great subject artfully captured. I can only imagine how lovely the prints must look.

I do have one reaction that is likely to be strictly a personal bias. Namely, I find myself wishing for a white. Could be that years of making B&W prints for other people has left me with aesthetic barriers I can't go beyond. But the feeling of the light being squashed is something I often experience when viewing HDR.

Nice work and thanks for sharing them.

Tim

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Could be that years of making B&W prints for other people has left me with aesthetic barriers I can't go beyond. But the feeling of the light being squashed is something I often experience when viewing HDR.

Don't think this is HDR. I try to avoid clipped highlights and may go too far? Also smaller pictures look darker. The rendering is likely not final. Thanks for your observations.

We are quite sure how to use color but still did not have a final style for B&W. Although I think Silver Efex Pro 2 got us closer than ever to work on it. These are kind of grungy images (grungy by subject) and we have to experiment how they work best in B&W.

>Do you feel that by increasing the stops of bracketing you can match the HDR output of the 5DII? Does it even out the DR differences?

Forgot to say that I only use 4 of the 7 shots. Overall the GH2 can add 6 EV and the 5D2 only 4EV with auto bracketing.

Last edited: