The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please critique my new website...

jaapv

Subscriber Member
have my new website online. I still have many photographs to add, but it is working.
Two young designers, brother and sister, designed it for me as their first project. Please tell me what you think.

JaapVPhotography

Terry

OK,
I LOVE!!! how they stitched all of the photos together for the moving part on the home page.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong when I go into a gallery because I can't really cycle through the shots I need to go back and forth between the filmstrip at the bottom. I would like it better if once you click on the first shot you can use the arrow to move to the next one and not have to go back to the selector.

The font is pretty wild. While it doesn't bother me, it isn't that easy to read.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
You just have to mouse to the arrows. The font has generated some controversy, but I like it;) and it was designed for this site.

Terry

I'm on a Mac and not getting the arrows to work.
When I click on a gallery it brings me to a open box and a filmstrip at the bottom. If I click on one of those shots the only way I can change to another shot is to click on back to selection that is going back and forth. I can't click on either arrow at that point nothing happens.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Thanks. It should not be necessary to click the arrows to use them. Just positioning the pointer on them should work.I did not test it in Mac as I am on PC. I'll have it looked into.

Arjuna

On my Mac, in Safari, moving the cursor to the directional pointers works.

What I don't like so much is the 'back to selection' process: I have seen other sites with the moving selection strip, but when you choose one, it stays displayed until you choose another one, i.e. select one, look at it, then select another, and so on, rather than the ping pong of select one to look at, look at it, then 'click on back to selection' (which blanks out the image), then select another, ...

Terry

On my Mac, in Safari, moving the cursor to the directional pointers works.

What I don't like so much is the 'back to selection' process: I have seen other sites with the moving selection strip, but when you choose one, it stays displayed until you choose another one, i.e. select one, look at it, then select another, and so on, rather than the ping pong of select one to look at, look at it, then 'click on back to selection' (which blanks out the image), then select another, ...
That is what we are talking about. You should be able to use the arrows and not have to go "back to selection" that I can do just fine.

Maarten

Jaap,

First, congratulations on you new site. I like the look and including the fonts, but I think the usability could be improved.

1. For me the "back to selection" process is bothersome and if you want to have it like this it is better I think to remove the left and right arrows.

2. When the list of thumbnails is there I often got the direction of the arrows wrong. When I push on the right arrow I expected to go to the right in the list of pictures (M6/MP versus M6ttl/M7).

3. When I click on a section from the homepage why not have a default image already displaying in the central box? I looks so empty to me and if something went wrong.

Hope this helps.

Maarten

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Thanks guys :) Something will be done about readability.
And we have to figure something out for the revert to selection part. It can not be done directly; somehow the site cannot read from the same database twice.
Also, it must be made clear that clicking the medium image displays full size.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jaap - first comment, there is nothing wrong with any of the photos on your new site!

1. I have to agree with others about the <back to selection> issue.
2. It is instinctive and clear to me that clicking the image enlarges it - even without the text. (one edit - currently it says: Click on the picture to get an enlarge version - In English correct would be - enlarged version. However, I would suggest: Click to enlarge. Much simpler. But I am not sure you need the text.
3. I agree with Maarten, the direction of the thumbnail scrollbar is opposite to what is normal. For example: Hovering over the right-hand arrow should move the scrollbar to the left - it should reveal more of the thumbnails to the right of the right-hand arrow. Currently it travels in the opposite direction.
4. I think the descriptive text boxes are too distracting both in placement and brightness. I feel they compete with the image. I would prefer them off to the side or below and not so bright.
5. The large images look very good and the scrollbar stays in place, however, it does lose focus so you have to hunt to change to the next image.

Hope this is helpful.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jaap,
I echo what others have said about the font and working of the arrows.
I am so impressed with the processing of the photos. The colors and tones look wonderful. You have an excellent body of work to display.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Jaap,

I like the site a lot. It looks different which is not all that easy to do so well done to you all for that.

I did find the text hard to read though, I am not certain if it is the font or the white on the light background though.

The main thing though is the images, very very nice indeed.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Thank for contributing everybody :) The typeface is clearly a problem. We are working right now on making it more easy to read without losing the style...

N

nei1

Well done,something Im hoping to do myself.The only critique I would make is the change of typeface for "photo gallery".I think it a distraction and slightly old fashioned,all the best to you,Neil.