The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fire Spinning portraits in Infrared

petetsai

Every full moon in Chicago the fire spinners and percussionists gather for a night near the beach of jamming out.

They have a no flash policy in effect now so decided to try something different and shoot it in infrared with an infrared flash. It was a fun experiment to test out the camera I recently converted.

Full Moon Fire Jam Infrared by PeteTsai, on Flickr

edtan

Every full moon in Chicago the fire spinners and percussionists gather for a night near the beach of jamming out.

They have a no flash policy in effect now so decided to try something different and shoot it in infrared with an infrared flash. It was a fun experiment to test out the camera I recently converted.

Very Cool Pete!
Just saw some work from Kohei Yoshiyuki.
But you have IR sensor too.
Love to hear your process.
Regards, Ed.

petetsai

Thanks everyone! I had 2 screw on filters for my camera so I put one on the lens to limit IR and another on the flash. Flashes emit a full spectrum of light, so putting the IR filter in front limits it to passing through only the IR light.

Godfrey

Very nice!

I'd love to see some more work along this line, very interesting stuff!
I've also got two IR-pass filters (Wratten 87C and 89A equivalents) ... maybe time to experiment with my flash. Fitting the 87C on the flash and the 89A on the camera and working in a darkened room should allow almost exclusively IR light to be captured.