The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sculptured Granite Rocks on Urris Beach

Hi all. This is my first post on getdpi so first of all. Hello everyone.:)

I visited Tory island and Donegal recently with my buddy Mark. This is the 1st one I'm posting. It's from Urris beach on the Inishowen Peninsula.I wanted to visit the beach for some time to photograph the beautiful sculptural forms along it's coast. When I arrived there the light was very soft. I knew the stone forms would come alive during the last hour before sunset. I walked around picking locations and angles to shoot the next day hoping the light would improve. I returned and the light was still overcast but the sky was quite dramatic. I aimed at taking some nice abstract shots, which I felt would work in Black and White very well.

I jumped around from rock to rock and checking the various locations and stoping to look with one eye closed and my 2 hands forming an imaginary viewfinder, while Mark looked on bemused. This is one of my favorites. I broke the subject matter into a few strong elements to really emphasize the beautiful forms of the granite stone. There is a lovely relationship between the large rock on the right and the smaller ones on the left. Almost like a parent protecting it's young.

Interestingly. I ended up taking a set of images that were very different to what I envisaged the day before. It just goes to show that everything is so subjective and you are influenced by the light, your mood, what you see in your mind, what you see before you, how you interpret what's before you and a million other factors. I guess that's what makes what we all do so rewarding.

Last edited:
Hi Kit
Thanks so much. I used a Hasselblad H3D 39 back on a Cambo Wide DS with a Schneider Super-Digitar 28 XL Lens at F11. Movements - down 9mm. It's a lovely lens

cs750

Hello Enda, nice post. It looks like this place is a wonderful location to return to many times for near unlimited possibilities. I agree with Kit's question about your setup. It's interesting the way you describe jumping around from rock to rock...it looks like a place where one would want to step with care. The texture of the rocks really came through with the black and white. Charles