The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Images From Crete

Knorp

Hi there
3 weeks, lots of images . . . but these were the ones I liked:

Images from South West Crete

Exif should be intact - you can amuse yourself guessing which are m4/3 and which are from my M9
All sweet series and I've spent a pleasant 20 minutes or so going through all the images.
I love the "Sweetwater Beach" shots 11 and 26 a lot, but for me the killer image is from Loutro the one with the cigaret. Wonderful !

I noticed you gave the Ol' Noct a good work-out and you had quite a few long-distance shots which seem well in-focus.
As you might recall my Noct is fine up to 3 mtr, but any further and it's all back-focussing.

Never seen so many pictures of you BTW.
But really - this one scared the hell out of me ... :ROTFL:

http://www.slack.co.uk/newsite/2011/crete/people/large-37.html

:eek: ... :wtf: ... :shocked: ... :bugeyes:

Thanks for sharing these, Jono :salute:

All the very best.

jonoslack

All sweet series and I've spent a pleasant 20 minutes or so going through all the images.
I love the "Sweetwater Beach" shots 11 and 26 a lot, but for me the killer image is from Loutro the one with the cigaret. Wonderful !

I noticed you gave the Ol' Noct a good work-out and you had quite a few long-distance shots which seem well in-focus.
As you might recall my Noct is fine up to 3 mtr, but any further and it's all back-focussing.

Never seen so many pictures of you BTW.
But really - this one scared the hell out of me ... :ROTFL:

http://www.slack.co.uk/newsite/2011/crete/people/large-37.html

:eek: ... :wtf: ... :shocked: ... :bugeyes:

Thanks for sharing these, Jono :salute:

All the very best.
Hi Bart!
Thank you for looking. . . . nothing like dropping a pebble into a well . . . not a peep:cry::cry:

I was proud of the cigarette shot as well.

As for the scary one . . . . I was thinking of changing my avatar . . whaddyareckon? :)

I used the Olympus EP3 and the M9 with the Noctilux - it was kind of an experiment. When I got home I thought I'd got loads of wonderful shots with the EP3, but it turned out I was wrong, and most of the best shots were with the Leica (surprise surprise).

all the very best
Jono

Lars

Thanks for sharing! :) Solid quality photos, of course. Man, that's a beautiful country.

Noctilux wide open == ND filter on M9?

Question: The Noctilux seems to get an ever so slightly busy background bokeh in the corners wide open, whereas rest of frame is silky smooth, like in this shot (lower right corner):
http://www.slack.co.uk/newsite/2011/crete/sweetwater/large-5.html
I wonder if stepping down slightly ( to f/1.2?) would dramatically change the character? In many lens designs it's the outer edge of the glass that messes up bokeh.
Then again, aperture shape might foul things up.

jonoslack

Thanks for sharing! :) Solid quality photos, of course. Man, that's a beautiful country.

Noctilux wide open == ND filter on M9?

Question: The Noctilux seems to get an ever so slightly busy background bokeh in the corners wide open, whereas rest of frame is silky smooth, like in this shot (lower right corner):
http://www.slack.co.uk/newsite/2011/crete/sweetwater/large-5.html
I wonder if stepping down slightly ( to f/1.2?) would dramatically change the character? In many lens designs it's the outer edge of the glass that messes up bokeh.
Then again, aperture shape might foul things up.
HI Lars - thanks for the kind words - Crete is lovely.
I was using an ND filter.
As for the corners - that example has a bit in the corner which is quite a lot closer to the point of focus - I think it has more to do with that than it getting busy (it really was busy!).

Stopping down is okay, but you lose the character pretty fast - suddenly it starts to behave like a summilux (which is great as far as I'm concerned).

all the best

PeterA

I have been meaning to holiday in Crete for some time J - these photos capture the feeling of holidays very well. A couple of years ago we stayed in the South Western Peloponnese which was wonderful I think next year God willing Crete for a two weeks and two weeks sailing.

Thanks for posting - wonderful images.