The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

World's smallest aquarium

RGoldman

Having some fun using a stopshot controller for high speed captures. 1DMKIV with a Mamiya 120mm macro and a single 550EX flash unit. One of the toughest shots I have managed to capture recently. The timing of the water drops, shutter, and flash firing comes down to a couple of milliseconds. That and getting the subject in focus makes for quite a challenge!

RGoldman

Thanks everyone. I am having a great time with these.... Lots of things you can do with drops of water!

emr

I've seen many water drop photographs, but these are definitely amongst the best ones. How many shots did you take to achieve these? Only 1/125 s, with no personal experience I'd expect freezing the motion to demand a shorter exposure.

RGoldman

Thank you emr. The shutter speed really doesn't matter as long as the ambient light is low enough. The flash duration is what freezes the action. The 550EX flash duration at 1/128 power is somewhere between 1/10000sec to 1/30000sec. Hard to find the exact specs on this older flash but you can see how fast it is! As long as you are getting a black frame at the selected shutter speed when the flash doesn't fire, the ambient light won't come into play.