The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ladders - black and white interpretation

Lars

Two reasons for this post:
Would like some purely subjective/artistic evaluation, and
Interpretation was made with Joey (my own software), would like some feedback on the technical aspects of the b/w conversion.

Original: Grandagon 90/6.8 (borrowed from Geary Lyons I think) on 4x5 VS. Ghost town just outside Zion N.P., Per Volquartz' Zion workshop, October 2004. Ebony 45S.

Something went wrong in the E-6 development, the blackpoint especially for the red layer is very high. The b/w conversion was adjusted to amplify tonal separation based on color in the original, thus a blue-green filter was used. Final interpretation involved a dramatic hardness boost (that's "contrast" to you purely digital folks ;)) and some slight sharpening, to give the final image some texture and grit.

Lars

Last edited:
M

moggi1964

My humble opinion:

The B&W has atmosphere and in my mind is the better of the two. It has a 'harshness' in the grain (sorry I am new to photography so my language isn't technical and may not even make sense) but I feel that works for this setting.

I don't know if there is any further data in the ground section that would perhaps give some depth to that area. It is a little flat even in the B&W shot as mentioned by Ben in reference to the colour one.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow! The B&W looks awesome to me, even more so seeing what it was derived from!

:thumbs:

Ben Rubinstein

You could of course boost the contrast in the colour version as you have with the B&W conversion to make it less flat and then see which is better.

Lars

Morris -
Yes, I think the texture in this photo is really important. Harshness sounds great to me :) welcome to the forum! Being a 4x5 scanned at 80 megapixels, it's got a lot of detail in the wood grain and the dirt on the ground.

Just to clarify, the color version above is a straight scan, unedited except for color space conversion and resizing. Just setting the proper blackpoint brings back a lot of detail in shadows and midtones, and makes the warm hues in the wood really vibrate (in a semi-natural, E100VS way :)). I'll see if I can make an edited color version later today.

The blue ghost in the middle is a lens flare - I have tried to remove it but haven't built the right tool for that yet. It's possible that it could be cloned away, but it's a rather large area so I have my doubts.