The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Greetings from the Death Valley Workshop

scatesmd

Workshop Member
I really think it depends on what you are trying to get out of a workshop.

1)your own unique image - go off on your own walk to your own vantage point - the shooter obviously wasn't with the group and there were other shots.
2)instruction - then, there will always be others around - a number of people were new to tech cameras on this trip
3)camaraderie - the chance to on occasion go out and shoot with others in a more social way.
I'd like to expand on Terry's comments, as I have attended nearly half of the workshops since the first one in Yosemite in 2007.

Jack and Guy don't simply drive you to an iconic spot and line you up. At times, we were scattered over a mile (at the racetrack or dunes, for instance) and even the photo here underestimates the area covered, as others were in areas below the line of site and off to the sides. Not all in the photo were part of the workshop. Jack and Guy do their homework and their scouting is much appreciated by folks like me who have never been to the area. Sometimes, participants simply go to other sites altogether, as they wish. We aren't limited.

I attended the first workshop with an M8 and really knew very little about what I was doing at the time, as I am sure they can confirm. I have far to go, as they can also attest to, but I have moved to MF and finally a tech camera under their guidance. Although the knowledge of the region by Jack and Guy is a large plus, my real goal is to learn how to do this independently. I doubt I would have learned nearly so much so fast without Jack and Guy and probably would never have tried a tech camera at all without someone nearby. They strike a good balance between group and one-on-one teaching. We have been fortunate to have representatives from Capture Integration over the years and this has allowed even more one-on-one attention. I feel the teaching aspects of the trips are unique and distinguish them from other workshops, which frequently are little more than guided tours. I went to these trips to learn as a primary goal (even more than getting a great photo on the workshop) and these guys work very hard at teaching.

I have made a number of friends over the years on the workshops and I look forward to seeing everyone again. Without exception, it has been an intelligent group capable of inspiring me to do better. We have always learned from each other in a comfortable way. I have certainly learned much from everyone.

I've lost count as to how many GetDPI workshops I have attended, but I would not have invested in them if they were not worth every cent, and I do consider them investments. It's tough for me to get time off and that time is valuable.

The GetDPI workshops are quite different from the usual line-ups.

Thanks, steve