The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Greetings from the Death Valley Workshop

Terry

Just starting to process some files. Fantastic morning shoot out on the dunes. A quick shot of Jack giving some instruction.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Just some files that seemed to make the first sort
Charcoal Kilns

Beacon at Zabriski point

Dante's View

Racetrack

Dunes 1

Dunes 2

Salt flats near Badwater

Devil's golf course

All are taken with an Arca-Swiss Rm3Di and an IQ180
Processing just quick in Capture One.
Photoshop work will wait until I get home.
-bob

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Workshop members waiting for the light

100% crop (these models just refused to stand still)

SK 120 1/30 sec f/11
-bob

Terry

I was trying to play with one from Rhyolite with some heavier processing. Posted this in the Nikon forum as well. Processed in LR4 but really needs better selections in PS

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice folks. I have yet to get to my images spent the day with my Son on our dirt bikes today. Man I'm beat up. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Okay crashed and burned yesterday bruised my ribs pretty dang good so today processing. LOL

Here is a start of my stuff from Death Valley. Cambo AE model, IQ 160 and my new boy toy a SK 120

jonoslack

hey guys
I don't like to be rude . . . but I was expecting an image fest . . 9 posts? what are you doing?

I need more!!!!

Terry

No offense to anyone, but when I see an image like this I cringe. The "lineup" is the #1 reason I'll never attend any sort of "workshop".
I really think it depends on what you are trying to get out of a workshop.

1)your own unique image - go off on your own walk to your own vantage point - the shooter obviously wasn't with the group and there were other shots.
2)instruction - then, there will always be others around - a number of people were new to tech cameras on this trip
3)camaraderie - the chance to on occasion go out and shoot with others in a more social way.

Guy Mancuso

No offense to anyone, but when I see an image like this I cringe. The "lineup" is the #1 reason I'll never attend any sort of "workshop".
Obviously you need to know the value of the workshop to begin with and trust me you will never stop learning. I can line 50 people and they can all walk away with something unique. But also certain spots lend themselves to certain restrictions , 5ft further in front of them they fall off a cliff, I'm not running down there to catch them either. Lol

Guy Mancuso

I really think it depends on what you are trying to get out of a workshop.

1)your own unique image - go off on your own walk to your own vantage point - the shooter obviously wasn't with the group and there were other shots.
2)instruction - then, there will always be others around - a number of people were new to tech cameras on this trip
3)camaraderie - the chance to on occasion go out and shoot with others in a more social way.
Well said.

Lonnie Utah

Obviously you need to know the value of the workshop to begin with and trust me you will never stop learning. I can line 50 people and they can all walk away with something unique. But also certain spots lend themselves to certain restrictions , 5ft further in front of them they fall off a cliff, I'm not running down there to catch them either. Lol
Being fortunate enough to live near some pretty classic locations, I've seen this sort of thing time and time again. You can tell all of the workshops because there are 10 people, all in a line, shooting the same basic composition. Usually this spot is something like Mesa arch in Canyonlands, Dead horse Point SP, Balanced Rock in Arches, Tower of the Virgin in Zion, etc, etc.

If I am fortunate to visit an "exotic" location (hypothetically speaking), I want to come away with something unique, not the same basic image as the guy/girl next to me. To me, it comes down to this sort of "instruction" doesn't fit with my artistic and creative endeavors nor my learning style. If I were going to do something like this, I'd be much more inclined just to seek out a local photographer in the area I'm visiting who's work I admire and "hire" him/her for the day. But that's just me....

Last edited:

Lonnie Utah

Having taught skiing for many years (now "retired"), I'll relate it to the following, Group lessons vs Private lessons. Some people do fine in group situations. Others realize the cost vs benefit of one on one instruction...