The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3rd scan

N

nei1

I think Im getting better.This is from a neg that Id almost given up on and this is the best result Ive ever had.Lars I think the difficulties I had before were from putting the neg in the holder the wrong way round,Im green enough to think it would not make any difference but there must have been some sort of internal reflections off the surface as it scans fine when put in the correct way.

this is a 35mm tri x neg rated at 1250asa taken using an olympus om1

Last edited:
N

nei1

Thanks Jack,Im really enjoying myself,all a bit of a revelation this digital world,all the best,Neil.

helenhill

Lovely Tones.....
Like it !!

I just got a 1968 /M4
and no nothing re: scanning / etc

Any tips for me Neil.....:)
Best-H

N

nei1

Hi Helen,love to be able to help you (and will if I can)but Ive just started myself.Im using a minolta dimage 5400 mk1 scanner which as far as I could discover is the best for silver based b&w film.Even set on auto(easy scan)it gives great results & Im now finding that if you tune the scanner in to the negative you can dig more information out.
If your starting with film you could try one of the cn base films,kodak 400cn or ilford xp2,as Im told they are easier to scan.Type in one of the film names into flicker search and see if you like the look of them,all the best,Neil.

Lars

It's good to keep in mind that when scanning negs you are really doing two operations in one step: Scanning and negative conversion.

If you are new to scanning then perhaps it's good to practice the scanning part first, using some slides? Scanning slides have the advantage of giving you comparable visual feedback, whereas with negs it's really an interpretation of what's on film.

Then when you feel confident that you handle the mechanical part of seating the film properly, keeping dust and glare in under control, and setting analog gain, exposure, etc., it is time to move on to scanning negs.

helenhill

Thank You Neil & Lars......

My film of Choice at the Moment
NEOPAN 1600 / 'Film Noir' :clap:
Tri X 400

Will look into Scanners sooooon
Thanx
Best-H

gero

Helen, how do you like the m4? I want to buy an M film in the near future that is not too expensive to use mainly with 35mm & 21. Can you scan b&w negatives?