The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cancer Ward

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I started a few weeks ago working on all the photo's I took while my wife Jeanne was fighting cancer and after wards. The best way I know to come to term with these things is to transform them into beauty (not pretty but beauty and beauty can be painful).

I'm so far sticking with B&W rather than color as I think it is better for such subjects although there are some earlier one which may be in color.

Here's where I am so far, Cancer Ward.

Your reactions to this project and am I on the right track?

woodyspedden

John

This is so powerful and truly so painful. I shed tears and at my age that is a seldom experienced event. Thanks for sharing. This must have been very difficult but for your family, what a remembrance.

God Bless

Woody

Farnz

John,

I'm very sad to hear of your loss; no-one should have to experience this level of pain.

It was very courageous of you to post these pictures and they bring real life back into sharp focus. All the opinions and disagreements on photography pale into insignificance when compared with real life. Thank you for posting.

Pete.

M

moggi1964

It's your track and you are the one to decide if you are on it John IMHO.

If that track includes poignancy; struggle; reality; sadness; loss; memories and stunning imagery then I would say you are right on the rails.

I am grateful you and your wife were willing to share those images and I feel for your loss. I started the year with cancer myself but I am a lucky survivor.

Howard

John,

First I hope that your wife was successful in her fight against cancer. If not, my heart goes out to you.

When I was treated for cancer with Chemo, there were patients much worse off than me that were receiving treatment similar to the images that you posted. I do not want to relive any of those tough times, I prefer to remember my last day of chemo with some of the nurses that treated me. I am now approaching 4 years as a cancer survivor. The electronic unit the nurse in green is holding is a chemo infusion pump that I was hooked up for 4 months 24/7. It was only fun on that last day, when it was removed. In addition to the 24/7 infusion pump, every 3 weeks I had to go in for the big chemo IV infusion which generally took 4-5 hours. I would not wish cancer on my worst enemy.

Last edited:

Rick Waldroup

John, a powerful set of images that shows the beauty, complexity, and ultimate tragedy of life.

These images were meant to be shared. To be stored in one's memory as a reminder of what came before. In the end, that is all that is left to us- memories.

Thanks for sharing.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
John, you should build on this.....its so painful and private not many have ventured into this subject photographically speaking. To use your photography skills and address this in pain, hope, or tranquility and peace is a very powerful subject, sure to touch many lives.