The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Work For Hire...

J

JCB

I'm posting this in the Sharing Forum because it is loosely related.

I work as a freelance photographer for a newspaper. Yes, I signed a Work For Hire contract. They own the photos that I take when I'm on assignment for them.

Do I have any rights as far as using those images simply to show samples of my work?

I think that I can have them in my portfolio and show them that way. I'm not sure if I could have a photographic showing at a gallery.. but perhaps I could if I'm not selling them.

Could I post the photo on Facebook as a sample or my work?

I've yet to find this addressed and I've looked for a while.

What say you?

Thanks!

JCB

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Yes, you can show a portfolio. You can't sell them, but you can show your work. As long as nothing changes hands there is no copyright issue. For tear sheets you want either permission, or copy published work (like copies of magazine pages featuring your work).