The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My food... and yours

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
i don't think we have a "show me what you had for breakfast, lunch or dinner today" thread here, so why not start one? This was my lunch a couple of months ago, Panaeng Nuea at Cabbages and Condoms (yes, there is a story behind the name) in Pattaya. What did you have?

GH1 with Pana 7-14 @ 14mm and f/5.6

V

Vivek

My dinner. Tasted better than it looks and way better than this snap. :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Zony 24/1.8, Nikon SB-24 (flat bounced light)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Those are very nice, Simon.
iPhone 4, eh? If you can take photos like that with a telephone, I think I'll go back to some other kind of sports. I still have the old OM-1 somewhere. Must be sufficient for the odd family portrait :)

bensonga

Lunch in Paris with a glass of red wine, one block from the Seine in September. Food never tasted so good!

V

Vivek

1. Black pepper (Piper nigrum) About 2.5X magnification.

2. Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) About 1X magnification.

3. Some red onion (no idea about the exact name as most are now cultivars). About 1/10X magnification.

V

Vivek

Not a Shallot but a red Onion. Although I do come across shallots larger than onions, only the oblong shape is quite characteristic of the shallot (there are exceptions to that as well). The way the transform after cooking (wilting to even caramelizing) is very different.

bensonga

Deliciously good photos here...yum!

Simon...I love the processing of your iPhone images. Could you say a little about that? What apps you used to get those effects?

Vivek....terrific macro shots. What is that lighted object to the right of the onion? Adds a nice counterpoint to it.

Here's what my wife had at that same lunch in Paris. Beautifully presented Caesar salad, but she was still hungry afterwards (we walked a lot of miles every day there).

The food in France was SO good. :D

Y Sol

Some Hipstamatic food shots from 3 different Michelin* restaurants: foie gras variation, sweet rose foam, and lobster tail.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Ben, Thanks for your kind encouragement. If you look closely (my apologies as this size it does not show it quite well), the OOF circles also have onion ring structure. I made this as a demonstration of the onion rings from molded aspherics interference (in this case a Sigma 30/2.8 but S system Leica lenses show this onion ring patterns as well). Such a thing is completely absent in lenses with no aspheric surfaces but other things show (I will stop here as this will go too OT). They are steel balls.