The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A slightly surreal scene!

Hi All.
Here you see a photo in Wicklow near the village of Knocksink. It is an of an incredible location. The old weathered boat stranded on the stream has been there for many years and is indeed a very surreal and peaceful setting. I love finding these types of locations. I went there 4 times before I got the right light to get a set of images I was completely happy with. It was such a lovely location I didn't mind. The old weathered timber complimented the rich greens of the sunlit trees

The image was shot with a Hasselblad H3D back on a Cambo wide DS view camera and a 28mm xl. 2 sets of 6 images. Longest exposure 80 seconds.

APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE ABOUT THE WATERMARK

You can view it in a larger size on my website by clicking here

You should click "View larger Image" above the top left of the image.

surrreal image, but the copyright thingy ... *blergh* , it really draws attention in a ugly way
If you like the photo fine. If you don't like the photo fine. This is a photography forum. Therefore I would hope as a photographer you would understand why I add a watermark to a jpg *blergh*!!!

Ben Rubinstein

surrreal image, but the copyright thingy ... *blergh* , it really draws attention in a ugly way
Sorry but I agree, I cannot view the image as a whole due to that watermark. I find it impossible for the eye to enjoy the composition and the leading lines when there is such an interruption. As a photographer who sells prints I would say that if someone is going to steal an image of that tiny size and that low quality then the copyright isn't going to deter them much anyway. Even so I think it would be just as effective in the lower right corner rather than right in the middle.

Shashin

I can deal with the watermark. if that is what you want to do and it makes you more secure in showing your work here, then it is OK with me. A picture with a watermark is easier to see than no picture with no watermark.

But likewise, if someone want to steal your image and it is on the net, they will. You can even take out the watermark with a little masking and layer work in Photoshop if you wanted to. But why make it easy. Besides, it is not like I can really see what the image is as a web size posting--it is just a taste.

Back on topic. Interesting choice of lighting. I imagine the other times were flatter/overcast lighting, but you went with a sunny day which is often difficult under a canopy. I love the picture.

Ben
You obviously have not had your images copied and used without your knowledge or consent. Do you think that I'm worried about an 1100 or 1800 pixel wide image been printed? An 1800 pixel wide digital image is more than wide enough to be used for many digital scenarios. Ben I've had numerous images taken and used on companies websites. Of course if someone spent time editing the image on photoshop the watermark could be removed to an extent it is not visible. I had subtler images with watermarks and they were grabbed and used on websites. Do you think I'm going to make it easier on such people just because some guy on a forum refused to look past the watermark. As I said and I am repeating my self but if you like the image fine if you don't like the image fine. Ill take all comments on board but i find it sad that your only contribution as a phtographer is about a watermark.
I saw on your website that you photograph weddings. Do you think you or more importantly your client would mind if one of your wedding photos was taken without your permission or a model release by say a company in the wedding trade advertising or marketing themselves. I'd love to hear the conversation you'd have with your client when you told them gee I didn't think it would be a problem because the image is only big enough to be viewed on a screen.

Sorry but I agree, I cannot view the image as a whole due to that watermark. I find it impossible for the eye to enjoy the composition and the leading lines when there is such an interruption. As a photographer who sells prints I would say that if someone is going to steal an image of that tiny size and that low quality then the copyright isn't going to deter them much anyway. Even so I think it would be just as effective in the lower right corner rather than right in the middle.

if that is what you want to do and it makes you more secure in showing your work here, then it is OK with me.
Exactly

Back on topic. Interesting choice of lighting. I imagine the other times were flatter/overcast lighting, but you went with a sunny day which is often difficult under a canopy.
Ya the light fell a bit flat on some of the previous attempts plus there is a pretty small window to get the shot before and after which large trees in the background block the sun. The light there on a sunny day is really lovely and that's how I wanted to record it.

alajuela

Hi All.
Here you see a photo in Wicklow near the village of Knocksink. It is an of an incredible location. The old weathered boat stranded on the stream has been there for many years and is indeed a very surreal and peaceful setting. I love finding these types of locations. I went there 4 times before I got the right light to get a set of images I was completely happy with. It was such a lovely location I didn't mind. The old weathered timber complimented the rich greens of the sunlit trees

The image was shot with a Hasselblad H3D back on a Cambo wide DS view camera and a 28mm xl. 2 sets of 6 images. Longest exposure 80 seconds.

APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE ABOUT THE WATERMARK

You can view it in a larger size on my website by clicking here

You should click "View larger Image" above the top left of the image.

Hi I really like the shot, must look great printed. I guess this a dumb question, but what do mean "2 sets"? I assume 6 images is 2 row of 3 shots.
Thanks
Phil

Hi I really like the shot, must look great printed. I guess this a dumb question, but what do mean "2 sets"? I assume 6 images is 2 row of 3 shots.
Thanks
Phil
No problem Phil. No it was a single row stitch. 2 sets of 6. There was a huge dynamic range going from 1/8 second to 80. Here is another one that's actually a double row stitch 4 x 6 exposures. 24 in total. It was taken further up to the bow of the boat

alajuela

No problem Phil. No it was a single row stitch. 2 sets of 6. There was a huge dynamic range going from 1/8 second to 80. Here is another one that's actually a double row stitch 4 x 6 exposures. 24 in total. It was taken further up to the bow of the boat

Thank you Enda
I really like it, must of been fun to work on it, the black and white is really nice also
Thanks
Phil