The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fishmeal Industry

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
These aren't particularly artful, but it's an interesting project nonetheless. I'm making marketing material for a company that manufactures and installs turnkey fishmeal plants. As a part of the project, I've spent the last two days at fishmeal plants in Malaysia to create some useable photos. Here's an attempt to illustrate the difference between an old, run down plant with a modern, newly installed one. No extra points for guessing which is which :)

D700 with Nikkor 28mm f/2.0 AIS @ f/4

GH2 with Pana 7-14mm @ 9mm and f/5.6, one strobe to the right

Ben Rubinstein

Are you doing the rise in camera with the lens or using a program? That second picture is very clean and sterile isn't it? I prefer the first picture as an image but I have a feeling I'd prefer the smell of the second location :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The second photo is perspective corrected in Photoshop. I was considering bringing the GX680, but there are no lenses wide enough available, so I would have had to do a stitch as well. Also, since my carry-on luggage (2 strobes in the bag in addition to 3 bodies and an assortment of lenses) was already approaching 15kg, I wasn't too keen on more weight. A Canon with the 17mm TS-E would have been nice, but that plus a Canon body would have cost me. In the long run, I might not be able to avoid that, unless Nikon comes up with something similar.

I can assure you that the smell is as bad at the second location as in the first. But since this is essentially food production, the clean image is important, something that has to be emphasized in all photographic and other printed material. That is a challenge sometimes :)

V

Vivek

I would prefer the first one as well. It has some character. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Maybe changing the name of this thread to "Industry". There are probably not many fishmeal plant photos around, except mine :)

Here's from another kind of industry, a big plant under construction. The Panasonic GH cameras have totally changed the way I shoot industrial photos. Being able to use the articulated screen and the excellent Pana 7-14 open up a whole new world of angles and perspectives. Here, I have the camera almost at floor level in a location where there isn't room for anything the size of my head between the camera and the wall.

GH2 with Pana 7-14 @ 9mm and f/4

malmac

I think all your images look good - of course the old fishmeal plat looks old - thats what its meant to look like. Also I like the crisp, apparently clean look of the second two images - good stuff.

I am sure if you had been contracted by the local historical society the look would be different again.

Mal