The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm back to shooting infrared

Don Libby

I missed shooting infrared so after a search for inexpensive/good (not always the same) I decided to pick up a Sony NEX-7 to have converted. Interesting enough Guy was selling his after only having it a couple weeks so I took that as an omen to get off my butt and get cracking. Guy sold me the camera which was like brand-new and it came with the 18-55 kit lens. The next thing was to get it converted which as it turns out wasn't that easy. The Canon 1DsII I conversion was done at Precision Cameras in the northeast however as much/many times I called I kept getting a strange message. Not to tempt fait I did more research and after speaking to Doug at Lifepixel I sent the camera in for a 665nm conversion (same as I had done with the 1DsII).

I got the camera back Thursday just in time for my next trip. The first thing I noticed is that looking at the viewfinder or LCD is a direct view of what the camera sees in infrared, cool. The LCD and viewfinder is darker because of the filter however after fiddling with the settings I was able to get a brighter image.

I'm keeping the camera set on P shooting RAW for now to get a handle on it. All in all I'm glad I did it.

Don

Almost forgot - I wanted a smaller footprint so picked up the Sony 20mm which is what these images were all shot with.

Don Libby

Thank you for the very kind words Matthew; helps being in the right place at the right time.

These next 2-are for the past couple days visiting Carmel.

It never ceases to amaze me what I find in an open field.

Then there's this one. Anyone else see a pigs head? Or am I just being pigheaded....

Leaving Carmel in the morning headed to Beatty NV and Death Valley working my way home.

Don