The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A 2nd super wide 360 degree Panoramic of Tomes Wood!

Here you see another 360° photo of Tomies wood near Killarney in County Kerry. This photo was especially challenging because of the sunlight. It takes quite a while to shoot all the images. I shoot 4 images, rotate the camera 10 degrees on the tripod head, shoot 4 and so on until I reach 360 degrees. If the scene is sunlit, at some stage the sun will be in view unless it is shielded. Otherwise you will have problems with bad flare and contrast, which destroys the image and/or needs a lot of work in post production to correct. This is easier said than done because the area around the sun will be in the shot for a good 20 minutes as you shoot and rotate. In other words you have to imagine the path of the sun so that at some stage it won't pop into view from behind what you are using to obstruct it. I used the leaves because I knew I would have sufficient time as the sun moved left to right. At the end of the day only one image around the sun will be needed from the whole series the final image. This technique is purely to reduce flare and increase contrast.

It's hard to get an idea of wide panoramics on a computer screen because of the aspect ration but you can view it in a larger size by clicking here