The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting infraed at night (with flash)

Don Libby

Everything I've read says not to (at least without some sort of filter). However I don't always do what others tell me not to do (just ask my wife).

Dusk last night I decided to see just what the Sony Nex-7 IR would do if I used the onboard flash. The good news is it works. The bad news is I'm hooked...

f/16 1/160 ISO 200 processed into black & white using NIK Silver Efex Pro 2

Original file, after running the false color action in CS6; f/16 1/160 ISO 200

Same file after processed into black & white with Nik Silver Efex Pro 2

f/16 1/160 ISO 200 processed into black & white using NIK Silver Efex Pro 2

My workflow now is to open the files in Sony Image Date Convertor, saving the files I want to work with to Tiff before opening them in CS6 where I'll run the false color action and Silver Efex if processing to black & white. Slightly longer workflow than with my IQ160 however I'm getting used to it.

Once again I have to thank Guy for selling his Nex7 and Life Pixel for the excellent service.

Don

Shashin

Don, gel your flash with an IR cut-on filter and you can take pictures in night clubs and no one will see the flash.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Don Libby

We might try that the next time Ken & I do a get together in Carmel. Just need to find a place with a pole. Any ideas Ken?

(I figured I had to beat Ken to the response :ROTFL:)

V

Vivek

You seem to get a big hot spot with that lens which gets masked (only in the centered subjects) after the processing to monochrome.

V

Vivek

It may be less or may not be visible when the lens is opened up. Very few modern lenses do not show a hotspot at f/16.

V

Vivek

Don,

Here is what I find (out of the E mount lenses I have):

1. Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8

2. Sony 50/1.8

3. Sony 30/3.5

4. Sigma DN 30/2.8

All really bad hotspotting lenses.

The least objectionable is the 18-55 kitzoom!!!!

There is a mild hotspot at 18mm (f/11-f/16) but is almost absent at 55mm.

Don Libby

It may be less or may not be visible when the lens is opened up. Very few modern lenses do not show a hotspot at f/16.
Taking your advice I did a couple sample shots last night using f/8 and found I didn't get any blooming. I'll post a couple if I get the time.

Don

Don Libby

More testing; same image 3-times, the first is as is from the camera after conversion in Sony Image Data Converter. The second is after running a false color action and light level adjustment. The third is a duplicate of #2 then processed in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.

I'm quickly finding that the end results are very subjective. I like the unprocessed version and the black & white slightly more than the false color in #2. I also see I really need to watch my background as it can cause unwanted surprises like the wall turning blue in #1 then a pale red in #2. I guess that's the reason for me flip flopping to liking #3 more...

Sorry about the copyright however I've found even with what I consider non-printable test images others see them as free to take and use at their whim - thus everything I post from now on will be marked (totally different story).

So - what have I learned? With loads of thanks to Vivek - the tests I did earlier were all f/16 ISO 200 1/160. This image was shot with the same lens (Sony 20mm pancake) however f/5.6 1/80 and ISO 100. The files are (to me) producing much better color than before. It's also such a huge PIA to shoot in the dark that I don't see this as much more than a passing hobby.

Don

And finally just to show how well this works in the daylight