The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sunset photo of the Old Head Lighthouse in County Cork

This sunset photo is of the Old Head Lighthouse in County Cork beside Old Head Golf Club. The setting is pretty spectacular. The image had to tie in with a piece of text from Molloy by Samuel Beckett. "Unfathomable mind: now beacon, now sea" and the setting is completely appropriate. My aim was to shoot a moody atmospheric scene at sunset. The aspect ratio of the image had to be quite wide to suit the space in where it is installed. I knew that the sun would be to the very right. This enabled me to shoot a sweeping panoramic photo. I was blessed with some fantastic weather. I wanted the sun just peaking over the horizon so timing was crucial. I started shooting on the left side of the scene about 30 minutes before sunset. This would allow me to have sunlight on the rocks and lighthouse and just give me enough time to catch the sun on the right to give it a natural look. After all the scene took 30 minutes and consists of 58 images. But what you see is what was there.

The photo consists of a series of images captured with a 35mm Schneider Xl (I think) on a Cambo Wide DS with a Hasselblad H3D 39 digital Back.

You can view it in a larger size by clicking here

All comments about the watermark will be ignored! :D

Shashin

Edna, while I certainly enjoy your images you share here, you may find posting them in the medium-format section in either the "Fun with MF" or "Fun with Tech Cameras" threads will get you more views. Whether we like it or not, it is a gearhead world and birds of a feather...

Personally, I would have cut off the bottom of the copyright symbol to make it appear to be rising over the horizon.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Beautiful photograph of one of the most spectacular golf courses in the world . I can still remember hitting quite a few golf shots into those cliffs ... a course where you just had to go for the shot !