The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

long exposure techniques: discuss

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Greetings,

I have a question for you folks, I took this 8 minutes exposure with B&W ND 3.0 and stacked upon Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer.

Now I want to stack another ND filter before the Pol to achieve >30 minutes exposures.

However, even the ND3.0 + Pol made it very difficult to see something through my viewfinder. After a while the eyes adjusted and I could make out the Pol. effect and adjust accordingly. But with an additional ND, I can see nuttin anymore and even autofocus will not work anymore in full sunlight on a bright day.

Am I correct to assume that I need to focus manually to infinity, pull back a wee bit perhaps, and do upfront calculations how long the exposure needs to be and then shoot "blind" so to speak?

Or is there another way?

Thanks
Georg

Shashin

Focus and compose, then add your filters.

If I were you and you want to do this kind of work is to get a dense ND filter. The Hoya 9-stop NX400 ND filter is good value.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I use a couple B&W ND's including the above mentioned 10 f-stop.

I just came to think that I might "mark" my circ. pol. Filter for such blind folded setup situations. I can see the Pol. effect with a 10 f-stop attached, but not anymore when another ND is added to the stack.

Thanks Will!