The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NSFW: Environmental nude

robsteve

Subscriber
Re: Environmental nude

Bob:

I like the B&W. You might want to add a bit of vignette to either shot. In the colour shot in particular, the cliffs on the left are too bright. A vignette would help with this and also draw you into the subject.

Robert

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Ditto what Rob said -- The B&W, and add a slight vignette and burn in the white cliff a bit.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

I think that's better. A lovely shot. I can't help but notice the sharp edges around her hair though. They show up a bit on the mound behind her on the left as well. not sure if it's sharpening or the jpeg or what, but that halo is a distraction. If it were me, I'd go the other way and soften a lot of that background with some selective blur.

On a side note, I KNOW you didn't shoot that in MA in the past couple days. The model would have been a cube of ice!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Tim,
It is a bit warmer here in California. I'll join the ice cube club Friday night. I have a model coming over in early February, but it will for sure be an indoor shoot.
Anyway, as for the sharp edges:
1) the sharp edge at the top left at the cliff edge seems to be caused by the B&W conversion layer in PS. In the original un-sharpened original, it looks like a bit of double-line bokeh. Once I add a B&W conversation layer and dial down blue, it pops out. Not a mask anywhere near the edge. It looks like I will have to do it the old-fashioned way or try doing the B&W conversion in Capture One before importing into PS.
2) As for the other lines, I am a bit puzzeled.
When I look at the jpeg locally at 100% it is not there. When I look at the file I posted on this site, I can see it. Whin I click on the image and invoke some other viewer, it goes away. I think that there might be something a little weird with the preview generator.
I will check it out,
Yes, it was a fun shoot and thanks. I got tired of shooting snow. Jack even held the reflector :)
-bob

Don Libby

Bob

Like the B&W but try it B&W but leave the model natural … just a crazy idea. (probably why I don’t shoot people:LOL:)

don

PeterA

It is a screen view I am lookin at ( so I hgesitate to sy anythign much) ..but..

seems to me you have lost a fair amounbt of shadow detail in the B&W conversion...eg the models left hand side as I view it..

I guess this is why the highlights in B&W version look like they do ( in a relative sence) and others have recommended some burning..

but if you chase this strategy you will just compact the DR even further..

I prefer the colour version for these reasons.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Bob

Like the B&W but try it B&W but leave the model natural … just a crazy idea. (probably why I don’t shoot people:LOL:

don
Don,
Do you mean natural as color or natural as in un-retouched?
Yup, people are harder IMO than landscapes, they keep moving around :ROTFL:.
I also have never had a landscape complain about a lousy shot.
thanks
-bob

Don Libby

Don,
Do you mean natural as color or natural as in un-retouched?
Yup, people are harder IMO than landscapes, they keep moving around :ROTFL:.
I also have never had a landscape complain about a lousy shot.
thanks
-bob
I've never had a tree say its bark doesn't look like that or I made it fat ...

My suggestion was leave the model in color and turn the landscape to B&W.

don

helenhill

So it seems you got your X-mas wish under the Thread /What do you want as a Xmas Gift... :ROTFL:
as YOU stated "TF* models wanting to get a touch more skin into their portfolios" :)

I prefer the B&W rendition
However I do Wonder about Iron Creek's suggestion
Keep the landscape in B&W with the model in natural color

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

By popular demand, A color model in a b&w scene...

-bob

Yes, Helen I like shooting girls, and good skin is a bonus, even if the photographer has to help out a bit.
Cynthia says come visit.
We could shoot you too :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

So it seems you got your X-mas wish under the Thread /What do you want as a Xmas Gift... :ROTFL:
as YOU stated "TF* models wanting to get a touch more skin into their portfolios" :)

I prefer the B&W rendition
However I do Wonder about Iron Creek's suggestion
Keep the landscape in B&W with the model in natural color
I must have been a very good boy :ROTFL:
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I do like your latest B&W rendition. Okay so did Jack whine about being your assistant. I am waiting to hear the tall fish stories on our drive to Moab. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

No, but he kept trying to get her to mimic a certain Rodin sculpture.
You should have seen him!
I would post a picture of it but he is out of focus and besides he didn't sign a release.
-bob