The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Redwoods with a technical camera

Don Libby

I wanted to share a few images (and not clog up the fun with MF images) that I took last week while in Northern California and in the Redwood National and State Parks. All images were taken using a Cambo RS1000 with a P45+ and either a 35 or 72mm lens.

I had just gotten the CUBE shortly before I left for the trip and this was my first experience with using it; an experience that was in one word excellent

Just an example of what it looks like when going to near extremes.

This was what I was taking from the image above.

Multiple focus layered image (native image 9066x7262)

2-shot panorama (native image 12071x6520)

Another multi-layered focus (native 9599x7203)

Another multi-layered focus (native 5907x6365)

Another multi-layered focus (native 7240x5433)

Another multi-layered focus (native 6108x5647)

Sunset shot at Harris Beach OR (native 7240x4192)

I'm working on a couple images where I shot multiple rows & columns, the largest is 6 images stitched together. I'll post these just as soon as I finish them.

I welcome your comments as always

don

Last edited:

Don Libby

Here's more images:

2 row 3 column image (native 10159x6905)

2 row 1 column image (native 8433x7342)

2 row 1 column image (native 7240x6873)

2 row 1 column image (native 8400x8109)

2 images layered (native 5434x7242)

I hate to admit this because it sounds snobbish but the one day I shot sunrise on the beach I used my Phase 645 and a combination or either the 28 or 75-150 and I felt like I was going backwards in the gear department. Guess that's just a testament to the quality of the Cambo RS and lens.

Enjoy

don

btw - all of the above except the image of the CUBE were shot using the Cambo RS - the CUBE shot was from my real point-n-shoot the G9.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don:

First off, I simply cannot resist making one, tiny comment re the Cube...

I told you so!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

~~~

Seriously, great photos too, and assuming you want us to choose our favorite, for me it has to be the sunburst; AWESOME image my friend!!! :thumbs:

Best,

Don Libby

Jack

Yes you did! You da man!

Remember - "age and treachery will overcome youth and inexperience"

I remember calling Ken last week to say that I've never had a landscape shoot where I was constantly getting numerous "keepers" with each day.

don

I'm hard pressed but I kinda favor the sunburst as well....

Lars

Don,
Tricky subject shooting in a dense forest like that, you get little perception of depth (especially on these small previews). Fog makes all the difference in the world, but it never seems to happen when I bring a camera.

Plus, whenever the sun peeks through you get impossible contrast range in the scene - another reason to be out there at (or before) dawn.

Lars

jlm

Workshop Member
nice images

looks like your cube is compensating itself for too much rapid down tilt. you still have another 60 degrees left;)

etrigan63

Don, I would love to hear more about the "multi-focus layering technique" you mentioned. Can you enlighten me as to how this is done?

Stunning images, BTW.

Don Libby

Carlos thanks for the very kind comment.

This will be brief (I hope) as I’m currently not in a position where I can do what I’d like to do which is include images.

Setting Up:

Once I set the tripod and camera up and after looking at what I hope to capture I take distance measurements using a Fotoman rangefinder. (I’ve tried lasers, tapes, and rangefinders and found all to be nothing more than a guesstimate in long run.) I like placing the viewer inside the image so I generally need the finished image to be clear and sharp from my toes to the horizon; I’ll begin taking photos that start at the closest point and slowly work my way out. I often wind up with more images that I need but that’s always better than not having them.

Post Processing:

Depending on the shutter speed I’ll either open first in C1 (especially when long exposures 1 sec or more) or go right into CS4. Once I have all the images to the point I want them I then turn to CS4 and open them directly from Bridge using “Load Files into Photoshop layers” and go from there. (Just a side note, I always open image files directly from Bridge in 16bit mode.)

I would have liked to include images here but as I said I’m not in a position to do so however I will very shortly.

I hope between this and Jack’s suggestion this helps.

don