The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Color cast ?

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
2 part question:

Which one do you like better?
And what would you do to improve upon the image?

IIRC, the only changes between these two is color temp.

Lisa

I would guess the first one is more accurate, but I find the second one much more aesthetically pleasing - it says "night", while the first one says "dirty brown".

Lisa

Lisa

P.S. It appears slightly tilted to me - try a clockwise rotation of a fraction of a degree...

Lisa

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Chris,
blue=night,
so take number 2 and make a mask for the sky.
Darken it a stop or two.
Also I think we are still waiting for your shot demonstrating the Nocti back focus issue :)
-bob

M

Mitch Alland

Contrary to what a few people say above I like the first one a lot more than the second, which looks garish, and would look more so if you darkened the sky as someone suggested. While B&W can be easily manipulated for expressive purposes a colour picture often falls apart when it's pushed around to look unnatural — mind you I said "often", not "always".

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I pulled them in to CS and personally like one that's about half-way between what you've posted :)

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Thanks everyone!

1.) I'm going to have to try and find those files again and give that mid level a shot.
2.) Learn to do what Bob is talking about for darkening the sky and then do it! :)
3.) Figure out which direction that .5 degree tilt needs to go. Lest Lisa post telling me to fix a full degree of tilt ;)
4.) Re, re, re-find that darn back-focus issue w/ the Nocti and post for Bob. :D

I'll see if I can't knock out a couple of these this weekend.