The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Book Project

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a photo book on Brooklyn's Domino Sugar Refinery. I'm the last photographer they let in before it was demolished.

There a project page on Facebook here. If you can stop by and spare a "like," it will help us get the project in front of more people. It's an uphill battle getting funding.

More images from the project are here.

Thanks for looking!

This looks like a machine on a Really Bad Hair Day. :)

I enjoyed the other shots too – you've captured the 'Jules Verne' futurist quality of the abandoned building.

Kirk

viablex1

no problem, I kept seeing where they were letting people in but was doing North Brother Island, really looking forward to the book on this, reminds me of lime works by

Naoya Hatakeyama

Good luck

Shashin

Why are you going through a publisher? If you are doing all the editorial and design work, why not publish it yourself and keep the return. I would price out your book at Ingram Spark for premium color. Since it is POD, you don't' need a huge print run. You live in your market and so you should be able to hold events to sell it. Ingram will also allow for international distribution through bookstores--the book store will have to order it through them so you are going to have to figure out the percentage and build that into the price. Simply set up an imprint and buy some ISBNs.

It is really bad that publishers are having authors pay to publish a book. I would be very suspicious about this particular publisher. Yes, publishing a photo book is expensive, but if they have their costs already taken care of by the photographer, how hard are they going to work to make the book a success?

Good luck with the Kickstarted, but if it fails, think about doing it yourself--just stay away from vanity presses like Blurb or Lulu

Why are you going through a publisher? If you are doing all the editorial and design work, why not publish it yourself and keep the return.
This option is on the table if we can't get a publishing deal we like. In general I think the distribution channels and promotion ability of a commercial publisher far outweigh any disadvantages.

They ask for money these days just to offset their losses. The majority of photography books have always lost money. The publishers pay for them with proceeds from their handful of blockbuster books.

Work from the Domino project in a group show in Brooklyn at the Front Room gallery.

It'll be up until February 21. I've got three 40" prints. A bunch of interesting work from a half dozen international artists.

In other news, work on the book is plodding along. We've finished the basic design and are close to a final photo edit. Soon we'll have a dummy to shop around to the scary publishing people.