The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PAW -- Picture A Week -- Have fun!

urod

"Man at Sea"

The Men at Sea is a 30 feet tall white monument of four seated males. It is located west of Esbjerg (Denmark). It is one of the area's major tourist attractions, and is a famous landmark of Esbjerg. The sculpture was designed by Svend Wiig Hansen and installed on 28 October 1995.

Uli

jlm

Workshop Member
another one, both with sinar P, Sk210, c. 1976
40 years later and i'd probably take the same shot! ( i think i put it in as portrait, should have been landscape according to sun shadows)

Last edited:

4season

I was on vacation and decided to (finally) learn how to fly a radio-control airplane! I somehow managed not to destroy it.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Great sense of humor it seems! :LOL:
Yes, you'd think so, wouldn't you, K-H.

In fact a tale of intrigue involving students, a gorilla, breaking and entering, theft of a dead body, and some stuffing!

Before 1956 this stairway led to a door which connected this building (Bristol Museum & Art Gallery) to the building next door (part of the University of Bristol).

A long time resident of the museum was Albert the gorilla who had previously lived at Bristol zoo until his death in 1948, whereupon he had been attended to by a taxidermist and brought to the museum.

In 1956 some university students had used the door at the top of the stairs to break in to the museum to steal Albert. He was missing for several days but was eventually left in a doctors waiting room.

He was returned to the museum where he has been ever since.

The door was removed and the wall was bricked up to prevent any further student pranks.

The identity of the students was only divulged in 2010, and the stairs are exhibit No. 1905 in the Bristol Museum, labelled "Stairs to Nowhere" and described as "concrete with metal and wood railing".

k-hawinkler

Thank you so much gandolfi for the great story behind your image.
The students certainly knew how to pull off such a prank.
I am sure they also had a lot of laughs discarding Albert the gorilla.
It's the kind of prank Caltech and MIT students are famous for.
It seems the Museum/University administration didn't quite see the humor in this. :LOL: :ROTFL: