The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Venice with falling snow: two versions?

Lisa

We were recently in Venice on one of the very rare days that it snows there. It played havoc with visibility, not to mention leaving little white streaks on the images. I took a photo that day off the Rialto Bridge (one of the standard snapshot locations) that intrigued me, and I tried two different processings of it that went in a couple of different nonstandard directions. I'd be interested in getting your impressions of them, which you prefer (and more importantly, *why*), and any suggestions for improvement.

Comments?

Thanks,
Lisa

D

DougDolde

Both are great. I have a slight preference for the color one but don't ask me why.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow, excellent! I like both too, but slight preference for the color version.

Dale Allyn

Yep. Count me in. I like them both too, Lisa. Nicely done.

They both work for me, so I don't have to figure out why. ;)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I like the color much better because:

1. It shows the weather (snow,fog) much better than the B+W. A little different than the standard travel shot.
2. The strength of color in the foreground layers fall off into a soft palate creating depth to the image. The soft colors work well with the diffused lightly.
3. The B+W rendering seems to have a forced level of contrast inconsistent with the actual lighting. A soft low contrast scene processed to add contrast.

Definitely a nice photograph with a lot of potential.

N

nei1

The colour shot looks less contrived (sepia seems such a tired option)even though the sky is distractingly bright the rain is a little more convincing.Your efforts should be to emphasize the central gondollier¿? by cropping or printing.

woodyspedden

Hope you don't mind. I took a crack at the B&W conversion trying to preserve the low contrast light and feeling.

Woody

However I still think it works best in color

Lisa

Thanks very much for your comments. I was surprised - I expected more people to like the sepia one.

(I have to admit - the first one is my first attempt at playing with negative values of Clarity in ACR, to emphasize the snow haziness. The second had substantial positive Clarity to *de*emphasize the haziness. Experiments, experiments...)

Ciao,
Lisa

O

Oxide Blu

I like the monochrome image better -- appears 'timeless' in a way the color image does not, and it does away with those annoying yellow/orange stripes on the taxi stand. The color image is a 'throw away' image -- lots of ooh and ahh now but when you come back to it next year it will be just another pic. Come back to that monochrome image in a year and you will pause and look at it and remember your time on the bridge in the snow.

MoJo

Registred Users
what Oxide Blue said. I much prefer the Sepia image for its timeless quality, it gets to the essence of the feeling there. the color seems busy and snapshoty in comparison.

Ron (Netherlands)

I like the monochrome image better -- appears 'timeless' in a way the color image does not, and it does away with those annoying yellow/orange stripes on the taxi stand. The color image is a 'throw away' image -- lots of ooh and ahh now but when you come back to it next year it will be just another pic. Come back to that monochrome image in a year and you will pause and look at it and remember your time on the bridge in the snow.
I fully agree with this, I myself would not have printed the color one, but the sepia / b&w is really beautiful! Why, because I don't like fog, and - as a Leica fan - really search for tack sharpness.....

Oleksiy

I like the b&w version more. Firstly the color doesn't distract you from details. Secondly, it doesn't let those colorful plastic tents to spoil the mood. Timeless is the right word.

Lisa

Thanks again for your comments. It sounds like we have something like half for the color one and half for the monochrome one, and a couple of us who like both about equally. I agree that the two have a very different feel to them, one a "fantasyland" candy-colored version and one looking like an antique photo (which is why it's so difficult for me to compare them). So, *both* are going up on my wall.:DThanks

Lisa