The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

commercial images

M

medinaphoto1

Went out yesterday and shot some pictures of a guy that is in my running club. He is trying to qualify for boston and is pretty close- I wanted to do a "road to boston" theme- Although he did not want me to label it that because he did not want to get jinxed- but I would like some feedback on the images- lighting etc.

Thanks
Rob
here is the link, click on 'previous' to see the group- about 4 or 5 images- thank you.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1587603&op=1&o=all&view=all&subj=133268095612&aid=-1&oid=133268095612&id=699739789

LJL

Rob,
I did not respond when you first posted this, as I was (and still am) trying to get my thoughts together on your shoot. I like a lot of what you did and got. I am somewhat torn between the "stand-out" look of the runner by the brighter lighting on him, versus some way to get the shadows looking a bit less harsh. This does remind me a lot of some of the Nike and Gatorade type campaigns where the background is there, but toned down 2-3 stops, while the athlete is lit in such a way as to jump out of the frame. Not sure what your objectives are with this, so I still hesitate to suggest something. My first thought was that you need a bigger light source for some of the shots, and to feather it in a way to not light up the road as much. Not real easy to do with smaller flash units. Maybe a grid over a larger reflector would contain the light spill more?

I do like the blurred background in at least one of the running shots. Getting a bit lower shooting angle with a much wider angle lens could make that a very powerful looking shot. Same for one of his posed shots....get closer, go wider angle, and shoot upward a bit more to create that "commanding" look/pose from the runner.

Nothing meant as anything other than constructive comment ;-)

LJ

M

medinaphoto1

Thanks Marc-
LJ- yes- the Nike type look is what I was going for. Looking back at it I should have had a light to his right (camera left) - a little dark on that side. I guess I was just being lazy- I had the lights there-
For the running shot I used a 10-22 lens @10. I tried to stay parallel with him to avoid barrel distortion- there seemed to be a line in which I could work without distorting either the top of frame or bottom-
anything else you can ad would be appreciated!
Thank you.

LJL

Rob,
If you were using a 10-22, I am guessing that was on a 1.6x crop camera or so, making it a 16mm equivalent. That is plenty wide. I understand the issue with distortion, and yes, at those focal lengths, it is hard to manage.

From my somewhat biased perspective, I would have shot him vertically coming toward me, while I was about 1-2 feet to his left (something like a 3/4 on shot), lighting him with a vertical strip box as main light from his right front, and having a fill at 1-stop less atop the camera, or just slightly right of the shooting axis. That would provide great lighting on him, and the vertical framing would impart more action. You would still get some background that would both be darkened and out of focus. I would plan to fire when the runner filled about 3/4s the vertical height in the viewfinder to allow both a bit of crop room, plus to pick up a bit more surrounding. Further, I would place the shooting axis at his beltline, and maybe back off to 13mm (about 20mm equivalent on FF) to reduce the distortion just a bit. Just suggestions for on near frontal action type shot.

The side running shots look good, and now that I understand what you were going for, I would suggest maybe a bit higher shooting angle to get more of the road beneath his feet (your theme), but still try to feather the light to not be as harsh on the road, but stronger on the runner. That may mean elevating it so the beam axis is about even with his head/shoulders, letting it fall of naturally toward the ground.

For the posed shot, I would still move in closer and do that in vertical orientation to allow some road to play out in front and behind him, and forget about the shrubs and stuff at the sides.

These are just some suggestions that came to mind when I first saw the images. The hardest part with this is getting him in stride at the right place where you are planning to shoot. If the main light is on his right side, for example, you might want his stride having the left knee rising to reduce any shadows across it, while also picking up the fill flash for emphasis. (This is for the 3/4 on shot.) From the side, it would look good if you could catch him when his stride is more opened. I realize that is not the running style of most marathoners, as their stride tends to be more compact to conserve energy.....it is just that a more open stride conveys more speed and action. Hey, it is "commercial" so you want to create the vision you have, so exaggeration is not out of place with the "model" ;-)

Sorry if this takes you off track from what you were thinking, but if you look at the Nike and other commercial shots, you will see that action is pronounced. The only time you may want more "road" is maybe shooting him from slightly behind as he is approaching a curve, and having him on the far left or right of frame, rather than centered. (Gives room for text block overlays, besides imparting the feeling of the distance ahead.)

Again, just some things to think about and try out if you get the chance. The hardest part is thinking about how the images will be used, and thus placing the subject into the frame in a way that the art director can wrap a story around it. Marc may be able to help with this perspective a bit more, as he used to do that stuff!!

LJ

LJL

Rob,
Just thought of an even better posed shot..... For the setting, you would need a bit of a rise in the road behind the runner. Not a lot, but enough to see. Same kind of lighting left and right that you were thinking of. But now, instead of a superwide, shoot him with a longer telephoto to compress the background road behind him. Shallow DOF to just get him and let everything else compress out of focus, thus producing a nice 3D look.

Also, though it sounds a bit hokey, get a couple shots of him lacing up his shoes with one knee on the ground or something. That creates more involvement between him and the road beneath him. Just another somewhat creative type shot that can fill out a story.

LJ

M

medinaphoto1

LJ- Thanks- Alot of great tips. I do have a shoot coming up (another personal project) for a woman who rowed from Maine to Florida for environmental awareness. She lives about 20 minutes from me and is in my running club. I had spoken to her before about doing shots for her website and she loved the idea- but it was the start of winter, now that spring is here I want to revisit the idea-
I want to do some similar lighting shots (darker more contrasty) - I want to do some with her in her boat rowing- me at water level- and some maybe of her at the shore- posed looking left and lighting her from that side- as if to say- she is looking to the next challenge kind of thing-
any suggestions you could throw at me would be great!

Thanks again!

L

LivingFiction

I have a lot of friends who run competitively and have expressed interest in getting some images of them taken doing what they love. Some great ideas here, thank you for posting, and all the great info!