The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

bensonga

Time to revive this thread! :)

This workhorse of Alaska aviation has always fascinated me.

Douglas DC-6, shot with a Nikon D2x and the 35/1.8G lens

cunim

Oshkosh reenactors. Was a hot day but they were in good spirits.

IQ180, 80mm

Last edited:

bensonga

My Bimmer. I have dreamed of owning a BMW coupe since I was about 15 years old. Always ended up buying something more practical.

Next year I hit the big 6-0. Figured if I don't get one soon, I may never get one. So a year ago I started looking (and looking and looking). I quickly discovered there are not many used RWD BMW coupes with a manual transmission here in Alaska. Mostly AWD (automatics), which makes sense, considering our long and snowy winters.

I found this car two weeks ago (2004 325Ci with the Sport package). Bought it. In the past week, I've put about 1,000 miles on it....driving the few good, winding roads we have here in southcentral Alaska (over and over again). The forecast is for snow next week, so it's going into storage on Monday. It won't be back on the road again until next May.

I'm looking forward to a few good road trips in the summer of 2013. :D

Gary

BMW 325Ci at Sheep Mountain, shot with a Nikon D700 and the 24-120/f4 VR lens

stephengilbert

I posted a link to the Mullin Museum elsewhere, but thought I'd put it here for any car nuts that might[ve missed it.

No Beemers there, but I went to this museum recently: Collection - Cars - Mullin Automotive Museum: Celebrating the Art Deco Movement

A really amazing collection. Some restored; some original. One that a docent told me was worth 40 million dollars. (Maybe "worth" should be in quotes; but it was sure beautiful.)

If you're in SoCal on a day it's open (only two Saturdays a month, it seems), it's worth a visit.

bensonga

Pentax 645NII, 80-160 SMCP-A lens, Fuji Provia 100 scanned with V750 Pro and converted to B&W with Nik Silver Efex Pro2

Alaska RR Engine 4325 (must be one of their newest locomotives)