The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dance

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi David,

I enjoyed your website. While I do not know this school of photography you mentioned, and this does not mean anything as I don't know any school's at all :D , I find your work interesting in ways of emotional contradiction.

I suppose this is what it is meant to trigger, and it works. The dancing/balancing women one would associated with green spring meadows perhaps, rather than a run down mining operation or whatever the place once was.

I spontaneously thought that this kind of imagine might even work stronger by using HDR and still staying in this type of sepia~ish style.

Interesting David!

Best wishes
Georg

D

ddk

Hi David,

You have an impressive portfolio with many wonderful images on your site and I feel kind of intimidated criticizing your work, but if I may. I'd like to see this image in BW before judging it, I find the the sepia tone distracting and getting in the way of the image. As it is, and this could be what you were after, but I find the distorted background, which I like on its own, visually at odds with the figure, it doesn't work for me, but then again, it could all fall into place in BW.

R

Ranger 9

I come from the Robert Frank Larry Clark school of photography. ZMY website www.davidseelig.com look at personal work. So this kind of thing is new to me what do you guys think? This is new for me.
To me it looks a little forced -- but that's to be expected when you're trying to branch out into a new area of work.

I feel the work on your website is stronger than this, which is to be expected because that other work is coming out of aesthetic territory you already understand and have explored thoroughly. Now you're trying to go beyond that comfort zone, which is laudable, but you have to expect to hit more bumps.

I would say keep working in this vein -- shoot a lot, to get yourself accustomed to it and to give your ideas more chances to develop visually. But alternate that with spending a lot of time thinking about your results; try to understand what you feel is strong about your Robert Frank/Larry Clark-style work, and what you feel is strong about your new work, and how those strengths might relate to each other. (I say think about what's strong because I think we learn more from our successes than our failures.)

You don't want to OVER-analyze your new approach, of course, but you don't want to UNDER-analyze it, either! I think it's only through a combination of responding, and then trying to understand their responses, that photographers move in the direction of producing work that's uniquely theirs.

dseelig

For Gerog Black and white I apprecaite what you are saying and yes I am out of my comfort zone which is what life is about. Thank You for the comments also Ranger 9
David