The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pushing an oldie

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
in the process of cleaning the office, I found a piece of sheet film in an old cigar box. Since I have the scanner out and running, I decided to plunk it down and see what I was doing back there circa 1973. Turns out I was blowing the highlights even then! Still, a bit of fun with Silver Efex, cropped nearly in half. :)

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
:thumbup:

Personally, I regret that I have zero experience with film/scanner, that might change one day though.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. What's up with that?
That is because film:
1) Blows highlights softly, in other words as exposure gets near the shoulder of the curve, they are smoothly compressed until they get to the point of being totally blown.
2) Exhibits halation. Light reflecting off the backing or scattered horizontally withing the emulsion which also tend to soften the appearance of blown highlights.

Digital just blows.
(I didn't mean it to sound that way, exactly, but you get my point LOL)
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Bob, for that explanation (I just noticed it). Now that I hear you type it, it does ring a foggy bell somewhere in my mind. Especially the halation part. As for digital highlights, gobs has been written and one gets used to dealing with them, but it's my biggest grain-of-sand-in-the-swimsuit with the M8.

George, it's a lot of fun (film/scanner) so I would say go for it. Get your Zen motor running though, it feels like the exact opposite of instant gratification.

Helen: Thanks!

-Tim