The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Grand Canyon in Black & White

Don Libby

I grew up reading "Life" and "Look" magazines and remember the beautiful black and white images. Slowly color replaced the black and white as it became easier to faithfully reproduce accurate color. I also remember working in a wet darkroom developing rolls of black and white film then printing them. While I primarily shoot color my heart has never forgotten the tones of black and white.

I recently spent 4 days at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon shooting color as usual with my Cambo WRS and P45+; I also brought along my Canon 1Ds II. The sole purpose of bringing the Canon was to shoot "near" infrared using a filter. What I came back was a surprise.

Everyone now normally thinks of the beautiful colors associated with the Grand Canyon and rightfully so. What I hope to do is show the same beauty of the are in black and white. I've also thrown in some sepia just to make it interesting.

Here's a sample.

Don

D

ddk

Hi Don,

Nice series but I have a question regarding the clouds, they look out of whack in a few of them and I find them quite distracting. Is this the result of camera movements or some kind of post processing?

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
David, most likely long exposures with the IR images using a filter.

Don - nice mood in these images.

Don Libby

Sorry for the absence ...

The majority of these images were taken with the 1DsII and Singh Ray I filter and shutter speeds between 10 and 30 seconds thus the wacky looking sky. I've finished working up the images however haven't printed any. The I-Ray filter blocks 90% of near-infrared light between 700 and 1100 nanometers and virtually all visible UV light. I did this in preparedness for when I return from Monument Valley and send the camera to Precision Camera for conversion. I've decided on a 665nm filter to allow for color infrared while still being able to do black and white. The major advantage will being able to shoot at normal shutter speeds.

Jack - thanks for fixing my blunder and for the kind words!

David - I agree with the whacky comment however I don't see them as distracting of course I haven't done any test prints as yet.

Cmb - you win the cookie for figuring it out! I like the mood as well.

I'll be trying this again next week in Monument Valley which will be the last time for this camera/filter combination before it goes under the knife.

Thanks all

don