The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Time-Travel Photography - Need Opinions

MoJo

Registred Users
Hi there:

I found the time-travel setting on my new Sony, and would like the member's opinions. I have posted my first experiment here.... and wonder if i should just make more or less straight prints, like this one, or perhaps there would be another way to treat/present these images.......?

hint....(vintage glass plates, scanned)

MoJo

Registred Users
I was able to go back in time again today, and brought back another image, probably from the same house........

any thoughts/reactions anyone?

-Josef

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I think it works, especially for the subject matter. It feels a lot like an old glass plate. Of course an old glass plate would have been shot on a larger format camera with the resolution and tones that go along with it. But it's fairly convincing.

Experimenting is fun and inevitably some little thing is learned in the process. A steady diet of it can become a little contrived though. "Special" effects like this are purely a matter of taste and if you like it then it's just right.

Neat old house, looks like a period museum.

Best,
Tim

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
:)

I see what you mean!

Nice way to stage a scene, I like it! Then again, I am biased, the piano is something, I can smell room.... ;)

The plant needs a table and some water... LOL

MoJo

Registred Users
hey guys, this is funny.... i guess i wasn't clear about my "hint". these were scanned from 4 old glass plates i picked up a few years ago in an antique store, and i printed them as well as i could, adding the sepia tones........i will post the other scene tomorrow, i like resurrecting these old images, to me it is like a time capsule/time travel experience....

MoJo

Registred Users
No, Mr. Smith, I wasn't clear in my original post. a lame joke about my new Sony threw my meaning off. anyway, i still think they are fascinating artifacts.....given a new life by modern technology......

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
No question. If they are real plates, they're a treasure. I bet they'd make some terrific contact prints in a traditional darkroom. What size are they?

MoJo

Registred Users
they are a hair under 4 x 5, actually i have 3 different scenes, 1 appears to be another exposure of the same scene. tomorrow i will scan and post the last one, it is of the family! i presume they lived in the house.

any idea what time period they might be from.?

i imagine they predate film emulsion.

MoJo

Registred Users
BTW, i have printed them at 17 x 22, and they are gorgeous, lots of detail in these plates it seems.